Non starter due to flat battery then ok ? ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 26-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

Gtv 2.0TS Lusso

Non starter due to flat battery then ok ? ?

Hi all, i drove to work this morning no probs, used the car at lunchtime again no probs, left work at 4.00pm and car wouldn't start just a clicking when turning key! lights on dash flickering like mad, tried a few more turns of the key and the lights on dash started to get dimmer until there was no lights atall managed to get a jump starter machine from work and fired first time then drove for an hour with no probs but when i did get home i turned it off and tried to start and again just a click. rang halfords about doin a battery check and they said bring it down so jumped it again to get to halfords, turned it off and tried to start it again before goin in shop and hey presto it started guy checked the battery and the voltage was 12.65 without car running and 14.2 when it was running, perfectly normal he said but his testing machine was sayin ''battery unservicable'' maybe a dodgy cell he said. but since then i've turned it off and started it again without probs 6 or 7 times, so my dilemma is : do i get the new battery for 100 or do i just hope it never does that again? and why did it happen in the first place? anyone had this before?

Many Thanks
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Not an Alfa

Re: Non starter due to flat battery then ok ? ?

Sounds like battery on way out, then too many short hops today with a lot of drain, but not enough time for battery to get recharged.... then once it was running again, you've driven it a bit more, and battery getting more of a chance to charge (especially if you were using less ancillary devices -- lights, rear window demister, heater fan up full etc... )
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

GTV Cup 99

Re: Non starter due to flat battery then ok ? ?

If you have fog lights on , air con with heating up, windscreen wipers on, stessa going etc... you can loose more power than you get back on short runs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

battery , due , flat , starter