Gtv Rims Wheels - Page 34 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 19Likes

AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

Ah, your info is all correct, but the "GTA" wheels I bought turned out to be reproduction wheels like Reproduction GTA wheel from EB Spares. These have an ET of 36.5, hence my calculations above.

I do follow what you are saying about the 30mm drop only being equivalent to using up the first 30mm of suspension travel, so with the outer edge of the tyre outside the wheel arch it will rub with or without the lowering springs, but with the lowering springs will be hitting more often than without.

As far as handling is concerned let's be generous and say that handling characteristics are a personal preference. If you don't notice a deficit then fine, but with significantly wider track rear than front I didn't enjoy it at all. Maybe it is not so bad with the way you have that car set up but doesn't it look odd with wider track front than rear, or is the 8mm too subtle to tell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

Jag STR, V6 GTVs

Spaced out

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom alfa View Post
Ah, your info is all correct, but the "GTA" wheels I bought turned out to be reproduction wheels like Reproduction GTA wheel from EB Spares. These have an ET of 36.5, hence my calculations above.

I do follow what you are saying about the 30mm drop only being equivalent to using up the first 30mm of suspension travel, so with the outer edge of the tyre outside the wheel arch it will rub with or without the lowering springs, but with the lowering springs will be hitting more often than without.

...especially if running without any bumpstops. Clive

As far as handling is concerned let's be generous and say that handling characteristics are a personal preference. If you don't notice a deficit then fine, but with significantly wider track rear than front I didn't enjoy it at all. Maybe it is not so bad with the way you have that car set up but doesn't it look odd with wider track front than rear, or is the 8mm too subtle to tell?

I agree re handling, that's why racing drivers/riders set their machines up differently to each other.

I didn't realise that you only had spacers on the rear before, probably not such a good idea. In a fwd it's probably better to have a wider front than rear...I think.

My car's 8mm difference only came about due to the 16mm spacers being too wide for the rear, I drove without any rear spacers for a while & it still handled fine. I've left the fronts with 16s as the car looks good & I haven't got any more 12s...doubt I'd fit them if I had.

As your GTAs are ET36.5 then 15mm spacers will give you an 18mm wider track which I think is good & fill your arches better, only 1mm different to my rear end.

Clive
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Trading View Post
In a fwd it's probably better to have a wider front than rear...I think.
Thinking about it, what car has the ultimate narrow track front / wider track rear? The Robin Reliant. Not exactly renowned for good handling.

AO Member

Thing is, wider front track than rear always looks retarded. Hell, the GTV looks odd enough with it's sunken rear wheels and more flush fronts from the factory. The GTV really is made to be styled like a RWD car even if this is at the detriment of handling!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

There have been owners putting wider wheels (upto 9J even) on the rear to make the car look more RWD and therefore "cooler". I think that was what the previous owner of my car wanted to do with spacers at the rear only. I agreed it did look good, but didn't drive well.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Big difference with increasing track with spacers and tyre width, spacers are ok but effect handling.

May I ask how your car behaved with the spacers on the rear?
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

156, 166

GTV is wider at the rear from factory!
It's a very rare car that has fwd and wider rear track.
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

exactly, hence why I'm asking what it's like with extra track!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jag STR, V6 GTVs

Oops...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan Q4+33 View Post
...I was forgetting that but for the 'discussion' here I was more referring to wider spacers front to rear.

V6 rear track is 22mm wider than the front, if my book's correct.

When I only had 16mm front spacers & none on the rear it did have a 10mm(I think)wider front track than rear, handled fine & still does with the 12mm spacers now fitted to the rears which has again given it a wider rear track(14mm I think/hope?).

Clive

Last edited by CG Trading; 25-10-11 at 22:24. Reason: spelling, remove mis quoted figures, add correct figures
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jag STR, V6 GTVs

Wave Et, pcd, offset & spigot rings explained

This might be helpful:

WHEELS. PCD, offset, and centre spigot diameter

Not sure I agree with 20mm increase invalidating your insurance though!?

Insurance companies should be informed of any modifications, one thing as a car dealer I don't have to do or worry about.

Clive

Last edited by CG Trading; 25-10-11 at 22:54. Reason: add info
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan Q4+33 View Post
Oh, I was talking about the way the wheels are. Even though the rear track is wider, the wheels appear to be further inside the body, pretty much, the GTV has a RWD styled body.

Run the same spacers/offset then get wider wheels on the rear with the same width tyre = won't handle like ****, and will look awesome. I'd stretch tyres if I didn't get GTA wheels.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156, 166

Mine had wider spacers at the back and handled prefect! Well ofcourse it depends of the driving style and other things done to the car (mine was far from stock)
AO Platinum Member

Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Again, same here. My geometry is so far off no wheel alignment place can give me proper setup to OE, so it's whatever I want.

Our front geometry was very similar Alan, but we'd done different modifications to achieve this.
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

alfa gtv6

Quote:
This might be helpful:

WHEELS. PCD, offset, and centre spigot diameter

Not sure I agree with 20mm increase invalidating your insurance though!?

Insurance companies should be informed of any modifications, one thing as a car dealer I don't have to do or worry about.

Clive
Hi Clive,
I have just been reading the above thread with some interest and seeing as my gtv wont be back on the road for at least another year i was wondering what if any difference the toora wheels made as it will be some time before i get to find out anyway hope all is good with you best wishes Brian
AO Silver Member

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOneSix View Post
Big difference with increasing track with spacers and tyre width, spacers are ok but effect handling.

May I ask how your car behaved with the spacers on the rear?
It's about 9 years ago (yes, I've had the car that long) so difficult to remember except that it didn't give any confidence cornering, whereas with the spacers removed it did. This was coming from a Mk3 Golf GTi 16v - hardly a great handling car. I put it down to having ruined the passive rear wheel steering effect, then restoring it with spacers removed.
Since then I have powerflexed rear - better no passive rear wheel stearing than couter-productive. Also 30mm dropped springs at rear, Koni's at rear, Novitec coilovers (-28mm at present) at front, front strutbrace, front Powerflex since. In short my suspension setup is far from standard now.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jag STR, V6 GTVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom alfa View Post
Since then I have powerflexed rear - better no passive rear wheel steering than counter-productive. Also 30mm dropped springs at rear, Koni's at rear, Novitec coilovers (-28mm at present) at front, front strutbrace, front Powerflex since. In short my suspension setup is far from standard now.

Powerflexing the rear doesn't stop the passive rear wheel steering.

Your set up is basically just lower & stiffer/harder...which if you like it then it's good** but for most people, especially on our awful roads, it would be too harsh. I've got, & had, similar set ups & after a while they aren't comfortable for everyday driving...fun for a blast though.

**good for your track days.

Beware Powerflexing the front as apparently they can 'pop' out, not something you'd want at the wrong moment.

Clive
AO Member

^^ So OEM would be the way to go then?!? Keep hearing bad stuff about aftermarket parts... I am buying genuine wishbones because I heard the aftermarkets balljoints can fail earlier and there have been reports of them shearing off.. that and I also found out that the balljoints wear earlier than powerflex so there is no point in doing it to wishbones anyway.
AO Member

County: Primorje-Gorski Kotar
Garage
Quote:
Powerflexing the rear doesn't stop the passive rear wheel steering.

Your set up is basically just lower & stiffer/harder...which if you like it then it's good** but for most people, especially on our awful roads, it would be too harsh. I've got, & had, similar set ups & after a while they aren't comfortable for everyday driving...fun for a blast though.

Clive
My experience is that powerflexing pushes the limit when passive steering effect comes in - and not by little. I tested that on our Grobnik racetrack and now I have to push really hard to make it happen. To be honest, I have found that casual fun driving is better with the standard setup!
AO Member

County: Bucuresti

Member car:

939 Spider

I was toying with the idea of putting Ducati Corse wheels on the Spider.. what do you guys think? (the following image is a chop)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mockup1.jpg (56.4 KB, 93 views)
dmc
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

916 GTV 3.0 V6

Not bad ... somehow they suit a Spider more than they would a GTV.

Member car:

GTV 2.0 JTS

I like the idea of some decent split rims for the GTV, the one in this photo in particular...

Alfa Romeo Shop - Tuning, Styling, Fanartikel und Modellautos - Alfa Spider und Alfa GTV Novitec Edelstahl Endschalldmpfer 4x76 DTM Novitec Edelstahl Doppel-Endschalldmpfer 2x 2x76 DTM 39047

Besides those...I've had 18's with OEM shocks and SPAX 30mm lowering springs and the ride was too harsh...I'm guessing with Bilstein shocks it would have made a massive improvement...

On my new GTV I'm running GTA Teledials and with 225 45 rubber and standard suspension the ride is alot more comfortable.
AO Member

County: Primorje-Gorski Kotar
Garage
Ducati Corse looks nice on Spider. It'll be special!
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6 SW

My GTV with 16" wheels, respray in black !
I really like those wheels in black, wether in grey not so much ...

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6204/bimg1026.jpg

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2048/bimg1006.jpg
AO Member

County: Alicante

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Wow!! I never thought a GTV could look that nice on 16s. Thats a beautiful car!
Unregistered

Member car:

alfa romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Attachment 61811
These my friend are the real MUTTS NUTS and they are on my shopping list
I feel very lucky that I have just ordered a set of these,in staggered form too

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
gtv , rims , wheels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page