Gtv Rims Wheels - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 19Likes

AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Re: Gtv Rims Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakedust View Post
I just got these yesterday (sorry for joining in late) Should have them on the car Friday

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120333374855

Not as nice as golds (You have some dam sexy metal there mate!) but for 250 delivered with good tyres you cant go wrong!
good score!

get some pics up when they're fitted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #52 of 1309 Old 17-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV v6

I want to see more pics of peoples rims on here!!!
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

AO Silver Member

Ive got original tear drop wheels on mine. You know its best to stick to the original design that Pininfarina chose for the car. Designers spend alot of time going through thousands and thousands of variations and options to choose the original wheel design for your car. There Masters of Design. Dont mess around with their work ! Now and in years to come the classic original design of your wheels will stand the test of time as have all Alfas.

Dont spoil it by putting cheap tarty looking wheels on it. Ive never once seen a GTV with non standard wheels on it that look better than the original. Ok the original design is ageing slightly, but so is the car. Let it age like the classic that it is. The Mona Lisa is a beautiful work of art that has aged also - but let it age - its a timeless classic.
AO Silver Member

I've no doubt that in years to come the teardrop alloys will look classic, but not all of us are imagining our car twenty years down the line - we are just trying to enjoy life with the car at the moment.

I don't mind the teardrop alloys but imo they are a little small and out of proportion to the rest of the car. The wheels that we put on the GTV were a lot more expensive than 4 new replacement teardrops so they are certainly not the 'cheap and tarty' wheels you talk about.

Besides there has never been anything wrong with the concept of modernising a car as long as it is done tastefully.
AO Member

Agreed,

The only problem with original wheels is not the style it's the size.

17inch + how deep the original wheels lie in the mudsills is just not right for the shape of the car.

18 + spacers (+wider tires than original) is what's required imo.

The design of most of the original wheels is okay. (Apart from that very first one with all the holes in it), it's just that 16 and 17 are too small for the car.

In my opinion, hypothetically the ideal size of wheel for the length and breadth of the 916 would be a 18.5 inch wheel if it existed.
AO Silver Member

Well everyones entitled to their opinion. The original teardrop or telephone dial wheels are the only ones Id put on my car that came as original alfa wheels. It will hold the resale value well also. Aftermarket wheels are very subjective and the next owner may love or hate them. Guess if you keep the originals thats better too.

If you want bigger wheels for performance well thats getting into another area. I just like my alfa the way it is
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfazulu View Post
Sorry to disappoint and sound dull, but I have original Alfa wheels - standard, came with the car and am not thinking of a change
Me too........... Maybe if I was the proud owner of a citroen Saxo I might think it was cool.

cheers to All
Peter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Rizla View Post
Me too........... Maybe if I was the proud owner of a citroen Saxo I might think it was cool.
It's not because it's cool, it's done as a styling enhancement and in our case to improve grip.

Besides I don't see many Saxo's with the kind of top notch split rims we are talking about. They are normally on ebay specials that are lowered so close to the ground they are not worth having anyway.

I personally have no problem with the standard wheels and everyone is obviously entitled to their opinion without being too obnoxious.
joeydawson

Heres my car with my 17inch wheels...

Last edited by joeydawson; 07-03-09 at 19:53.

AO Member

County: Galway

Heres my ones. I only fitted them last week. 18s from DP motors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comparison.jpg (119.2 KB, 466 views)
AO Silver Member

Actually they do look nice rlaffey !
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds GTV 2001 View Post
Well everyones entitled to their opinion. The original teardrop or telephone dial wheels are the only ones Id put on my car that came as original alfa wheels. It will hold the resale value well also. Aftermarket wheels are very subjective and the next owner may love or hate them. Guess if you keep the originals thats better too.

If you want bigger wheels for performance well thats getting into another area. I just like my alfa the way it is
Have to disagree with you on this one. Take the Brera for example, beautiful design, but MOST of the standard wheel designs are horrible.
+ 16" on a GTV is way too small aesthetically.

Saying aftermarket wheels are bad just because they are aftermarket doesn't make sense, for me it's about doing whatever looks best.

example: A GTV with the Novitec front splitter fitted will always look better than one without, as it enables the front to follow the level of the side skirts.

But that's just my opinion...
(Post Link) post #64 of 1309 Old 17-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV v6

This could turn into a huge debate haha!
Personally, i think some of the designers/engineers were drunk when they chose a few things... the stereo!!! The teardrops are awsome, BUT too small. should have been 18s. The diff is ****... thank god for the Q2. And whats up with the dual mass flywheel for the earlier GTV... The P1 dash should have had silver dials... zender cup kit looks wayyy better than stock... if no one changed the style of their alfa this forum would suck! haha. Anyway, I still have my teardrops so if worse comes to worse i will just put them back on when my car gets too old to be sporting pimp rims haha!!!

*..._______
*./________\
./OO__V__OO\
|=_-_____-_=|
AO Silver Member

Well its up to you - i dont like messin with peoples designs especially somone like Pininfarina.

And not into Pimping Me Wagon either !! lol )

If you dont like the design just buy another car altogether. Ferrari, Lambourghini, Aston Marton all look way better than an old GTV !!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

I'd rather have have a gtv that looks like this than a ferrari/lambo for the equivalent money !

Last edited by phil-gtv6; 12-10-13 at 18:06.
Nomis

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-gtv6 View Post
I'd rather have have a gtv that looks like this than a ferrari/lambo for the equivalent money !
Those wheels are stunning! What are they?

AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomis View Post
Those wheels are stunning! What are they?
BBS CH's. Are they 18's or 19's? I'm guessing 19's, which work better with these wheels IMO.

ETA: Anyone know where you can get 19" BBS CH in 5x98?
AO Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Rizla View Post

cheers to All
Peter
But you think painting the Alfa badges white and black is cool!!
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2 GTV View Post
BBS CH's. Are they 18's or 19's? I'm guessing 19's, which work better with these wheels IMO.

ETA: Anyone know where you can get 19" BBS CH in 5x98?

probably not possible, but you can get them readily in 5x100 and use converter bolts.

(they're not cheap though !!!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BBS-CH-014-Aud...1%7C240%3A1318
Nomis

Ouch, how much!!!

Gone are the days when 17's looked huge. I remember a set on my Celica many years ago that only just went on and with a massive amount of rubbing over bumpy roads. Looked great though.

I agree though 16's on the GTV do look out of proportion. Going to have to do something with mine, now the cup skirts are on they look even smaller. May just be the style though

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

if you're not going to lower it then 17" teledials are probably the way forward.

(just so happens that I'll be selling a set soon..!)
AO Member

Member car:

2.0l GTV Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds GTV 2001 View Post
Ive got original tear drop wheels on mine. You know its best to stick to the original design that Pininfarina chose for the car. Designers spend alot of time going through thousands and thousands of variations and options to choose the original wheel design for your car. There Masters of Design. Dont mess around with their work ! Now and in years to come the classic original design of your wheels will stand the test of time as have all Alfas.

Dont spoil it by putting cheap tarty looking wheels on it. Ive never once seen a GTV with non standard wheels on it that look better than the original. Ok the original design is ageing slightly, but so is the car. Let it age like the classic that it is. The Mona Lisa is a beautiful work of art that has aged also - but let it age - its a timeless classic.

I agree 100%. Alfa know what they're doing. No need to mess!
Nomis

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-gtv6 View Post
if you're not going to lower it then 17" teledials are probably the way forward.

(just so happens that I'll be selling a set soon..!)
I tried to get a second hand set of teledials but 17's seem to be as rare as rocking horse muck! Let me know when you sell, I may well be interested. Only had the GTV for just over seven months, so wife won't notice the difference. The only way she knows about the Cup kit is that it's white at the moment.... fitted but not spraying till after Christmas hols.

Agree that aftermarket alloys can look pants. I want to keep my car looking factoryesque.... bigger wheels are calling me though

Last edited by Nomis; 18-12-08 at 13:31.

AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamy99 View Post
I agree 100%. Alfa know what they're doing. No need to mess!

If you put your GTV next to the silver one in the picture above, and then asked a sample of 1000 random people which looks best, they're all gonna say the silver one

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
gtv , rims , wheels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page