Gtv Rims Wheels - Page 28 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 19Likes

AO Member

County: Alicante

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

205/50/16 has a 611.4 mm diameter
205/45/17 is 616.3 which is pretty close to original but a little bit too narrow for my taste, and more if its for a V6
215/40/17 is 603.8 which I tried for a while and i can say makes handling sharp but not a very comfy ride
225/40/17 is 611.8 perfect match and probably the size Ill fit next time I change tyres
225/45/17 is 634.3 which is what im using now and factory recommended for 17" but makes the wheel too big in my opinion. Acceleration drops a bit, looks worse cause of tyre height but comfort is better and you have less noise at high speed cruising.

Im not an engineer but I can guess the only reason they recommend 225/45 for 17" is comfort. In my opinion if you make a tyre wider (205 to 225) you should make the total diameter equal or smaller (to compensate the loss of acceleration) but thats just talking about performance.

What Im trying to say here (sorry it took me so long) is that you should choose your own tyre size depending on what you want. Bigger rims and lower profiles make better looks, smaller wheel diameter with lower profile improve handling and acceleration while bigger profiles mean better comfort. Now is up to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex

Member car:

Jag STR, V6 GTVs

lowered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo View Post
205/45/17 is 616.3 which is pretty close to original but a little bit too narrow for my taste, and more if its for a V6
215/40/17 is 603.8 which I tried for a while and i can say makes handling sharp but not a very comfy ride
225/40/17 is 611.8 perfect match and probably the size Ill fit next time I change tyres
225/45/17 is 634.3 which is what im using now and factory recommended for 17" but makes the wheel too big in my opinion. Acceleration drops a bit, looks worse cause of tyre height but comfort is better and you have less noise at high speed cruising.

Im not an engineer but I can guess the only reason they recommend 225/45 for 17" is comfort. In my opinion if you make a tyre wider (205 to 225) you should make the total diameter equal or smaller (to compensate the loss of acceleration) but thats just talking about performance.

What Im trying to say here (sorry it took me so long) is that you should choose your own tyre size depending on what you want. Bigger rims and lower profiles make better looks, smaller wheel diameter with lower profile improve handling and acceleration while bigger profiles mean better comfort. Now is up to you.
45 actually, IMO, looks better as it fills the wheel arch more, only fit 40s if the car's lowered .

Clive
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Trading View Post
45 actually, IMO, looks better as it fills the wheel arch more, only fit 40s if the car's lowered .

Clive
Good point. Mine is lowered so I didnt think about wheel arch filling, only about rim/tyre proportion.

AO Silver Member

Quote:

Thats quite interesting testing out all the different tyre / rim sizes.
AO Member

Quote:
factory handbook says 225 45s for 7.5 x 17s.

Clive
I'm guessing when they started offering the 17" they changed the profile.. especially since that rolling diameter is bigger than 205/50/16. I want to put 18" on my car but "technically" I should have had a Ph2 if I wanted to do so. Using 205/50/16 gives very few options for 18" tyre fitment and will result in having to use 205 wide on an 18" which is kind of funny. Like an Corsa B with 18" wheels
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jag STR, V6 GTVs

TUT 205 40 17s

Quote:
Originally Posted by quango2k View Post
all the websites are saying I need 205/40/17 ??
heres a picture of a Spider I had with 205 40 17s, I think 7J, they were on it when I bought it.

It drove fine but ground clearance was a bit on the low side & the wheel arch gaps are enormous!

If I'd lowered it to fill the arches the exhaust would've nearly been on the ground.

Clive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0904220066.jpg (53.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 0904170125.jpg (50.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 0904220057.jpg (41.5 KB, 15 views)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jag STR, V6 GTVs

225s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAL32 View Post
I'm guessing when they started offering the 17" they changed the profile.. especially since that rolling diameter is bigger than 205/50/16. I want to put 18" on my car but "technically" I should have had a Ph2 if I wanted to do so. Using 205/50/16 gives very few options for 18" tyre fitment and will result in having to use 205 wide on an 18" which is kind of funny. Like an Corsa B with 18" wheels
I've got 225 40s on 18s & the Cup-a-like is lowered.

I think 235 40s would be ok as I've had 235 35s on 19s with std suspension(see Nuvola Blue pics).

Why 'technically' should you have a Ph2?

Clive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G6TeamDynamics.JPG (78.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg V6Spider18RM.JPG (53.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Nuvola Blue 19 OZs.jpg (42.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 0910150006.jpg (47.5 KB, 20 views)
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Quote:

I think 235 40s would be ok as I've had 235 35s on 19s with std suspension(see Nuvola Blue pics).

Clive
235/35 19s???? that makes the wheel diameter 4.5 cms bigger!

I feel my car lazy and heavy with 225/45 17 (being lowered, with konis and powerflex fitted) so
my question is........ could you move yours?

Also, dont you have an MOT rule for that? here in Spain you can have any rim/tyre combination as long as your diamater doesnt grow/decrease over 3%
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jag STR, V6 GTVs

stopwatch

Quote:

I feel my car lazy and heavy with 225/45 17 (being lowered, with konis and powerflex fitted) so

Also, dont you have an MOT rule for that? here in Spain you can have any rim/tyre combination as long as your diamater doesnt grow/decrease over 3%

no noticeable difference in performance with any of the wheel tyre size combinations, only looks & comfort.

We aren't driving against a stopwatch, it will only be fractions of a second.

No problems with mots either.

Clive
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:

going from 225/45 r17 to 235/35 r19 is only a 1.2cm increase in diameter
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

+ changing the overall tyre height to smaller won't make the car quicker as such it just effectively shortens the gear ratios, so if that's what what you're after then fine i guess
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-gtv6 View Post
going from 225/45 r17 to 235/35 r19 is only a 1.2cm increase in diameter

I was saying from original 205/50 r16.

225/45 r 17 is already 3.something bigger
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Quote:
+ changing the overall tyre height to smaller won't make the car quicker as such it just effectively shortens the gear ratios, so if that's what what you're after then fine i guess
I was talking about acceleration cause thats what you loose when you make your tyres wider, never top speed.

Of course if youve got bigger wheels you go faster at the same rpms
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 24v

Quote:
no noticeable difference in performance with any of the wheel tyre size combinations, only looks & comfort.

We aren't driving against a stopwatch, it will only be fractions of a second.

No problems with mots either.

Clive
Then you did great cause those OZs look amazing!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Jag STR, V6 GTVs

Alfa Racer

Quote:
...... smaller wheel diameter with lower profile improve handling and acceleration ..........
that's probably why they use 195 50 15s for racing in class E.

ARCA - alfaracer.com - Organisers of the UK Alfa Romeo Motor Racing Championship

Clive
AO Member

Quote:
I've got 225 40s on 18s & the Cup-a-like

Clive
In Australia the law is that you can only change your rolling diameter according to the wheel sizes offered in that year of car I think. So for it to be strictly legal, I need to keep the rolling diameter of 205/50/16 but of course I'll just get the tyre placard from ph2 and put it on the car so it's fine to run 225/40/18.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

gtv 3.0 v6

haha, im no clearer on what wheels and tyres I should get lol..

I have a 1999 v6, I want to get the right wheels to fill the arches, do I go 17 and lower the car, or 18" ?

Do I need to lower with 18" ?
what tyre size and offset for 18x8?

or do I stick with 17x7.5 and lower the car?

I know a lot of it is preference, I just want the wheels to fill the arches and look cool lol.

I have about 1200 to spend on wheels and good tyres so I am open to opinions.
AO Member

Member car:

gtv 3.0 v6

Quote:

Clive
I love the wheels on the spider...where do I buy them? lol
AO Member

Quote:

I have a 1999 v6, I want to get the right wheels to fill the arches, do I go 17 and lower the car, or 18" ?

I know a lot of it is preference, I just want the wheels to fill the arches and look cool lol.

Front offset... on an 8" 30 would be fine. You might want like 20 or 15 offset on 8" rims to look "cool" on the rear.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:
Front offset... on an 8" 30 would be fine. You might want like 20 or 15 offset on 8" rims to look "cool" on the rear.
May be ok on the standard springs, but if you go lower, any less than et25 with a 225 width tyre and the arch liners will start taking a beating

I've kept the original 17 teledials on mine but have lowered ~40mm and think the car sits nicely with the wheels looking proportionally big enough, as the GTV is a fairly small car:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T87-5.jpg (57.7 KB, 45 views)
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:

or do I stick with 17x7.5 and lower the car?

On that budget, if you have the patience keep an eye on ebay for some 2nd hand Zender Siennas (18x8 et28,very rare and sought after!)

Or maybe these O.Z. "Wave" would look smart on a black GTV:

Last edited by phil-gtv6; 16-07-13 at 22:02.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156, 166

Quote:
May be ok on the standard springs, but if you go lower, any less than et25 with a 225 width tyre and the arch liners will start taking a beating

I've kept the original 17 teledials on mine but have lowered ~40mm and think the car sits nicely with the wheels looking proportionally big enough, as the GTV is a fairly small car:
She looks perfect (just like mine )
AO Gold Member

County: Kildare

Member car:

'96 GTV TS

Quote:
On that budget, if you have the patience keep an eye on ebay for some 2nd hand Zender Siennas (18x8 et28,very rare and sought after!)

Or maybe these O.Z. "Wave" would look smart on a black GTV:
Can anyonw photoshop these on, I'd be interested to see what they look like....
AO Member

Quote:
Does that sit flush? I would have guessed a more aggressive offset would hit the arch. You can roll the guards... Also there's the option of going to a 9" rear with the same tyre size (stretch) and then adding half an inch to the offset for the same effect with tyre stretch to avoid arches being hit. So instead of 8" +20, you could go 9" +32 for example.
AO Silver Member

Garage

Member car:

E82 125i

Quote:
Does that sit flush? I would have guessed a more aggressive offset would hit the arch. You can roll the guards... Also there's the option of going to a 9" rear with the same tyre size (stretch) and then adding half an inch to the offset for the same effect with tyre stretch to avoid arches being hit. So instead of 8" +20, you could go 9" +32 for example.
there was someone on here who fitted 265 on the rear with some modifications !! - looked mean, not sure how it'd handle though!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
gtv , rims , wheels

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page