Any alternator experts out there? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Any alternator experts out there?

A couple of times this week my charging light has taken 4 or 5 seconds to go out instead of going out instantly. Went to check things out this morning, but all is normal again. I have 12V at the battery which goes straight up to 14V when started (and light goes out instantly). What would cause a charging system to randomly go in and out of lazy teenager mode?

Further clues or red herrings: I have been doing plenty of short journeys recently. Auxiliary belt not squealing. Car starts and runs perfectly. All electrical systems working perfectly except: the car sometimes starts with the climate control on sometimes not. I can hear the compressor click in when I turn on the CC. Aircon would probably benefit from a regas however. I have also heard a very light clicking/tapping for about 20 seconds after start up a couple of times. Sound just like a leaky tappet filling up again so not too concerned (no sound this morning).

Thanks in advance.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

alternator , experts