Blown up 3.0 V6 GTV **Re-Build Thread** - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 30-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

TUT Blown up 3.0 V6 GTV **Re-Build Thread**

Hi all!
Great forum guys!

My story!
Right, i purchased a 2001 3.0 GTV a few weeks ago for the princely sum of...£850!

I knew it was flood damaged and had no keys so i expected the worse!

What usually happens is the cold air feed at the bottom of the bumper sucks in water if you go through a deep puddle/ford and as we all know water does not compress as well as air/fuel so this results in bent con rods!

So when i took delivery of the car i removed the sparkplugs and filled the bores with oil for a few days to help break up the rust where the piston rings rust to the bores.

Then days later i moved the bottom pulley gently back and forth till the engine could turn over, i was quite surprised usually the bent con rods stop the engine turning over but this was fine....until i realised one of the pistons was not moving...

To make a long story short
i then stripped the front head of and bassicly brought a new con rod and was putting the con rod and piston back in quite happy thinking i had got a good deal here..then i see sunlight through the block..ho noes... turns out the part of the con rod that had broke away had got wedged against the block and punched a hole in it! and also mashed a few of the piston liners!

Pics of car and engine atm, will update when i have a new engine for it!

Last edited by AdamCup149; 30-09-08 at 19:31.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Rosso/Tan GTV V6

Re: Blown up 3.0 V6 GTV **Re-Build Thread**

oh dear, so what's the plan if there is a hole in the block? New engine time I guess.... Would now be a good opportunity to get some lightened con rods etc?

Nice looking car, well worth the work IMO.

It looks like a good project, even with a holed block. Thanks for sharing. Are you going to get a second hand engine and put it in as is, second hand and give it a light makeover, cheapo reconditioned or pay top dollar for something good?
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

E82 125i

looks like it will be a beaut car when it's fixed up.

Must have been a deep puddle, iirc the air feed is quite high up in the ns wheel arch!
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

GTV Cup 99

its was prolly top gear trying to make it accross the english channel!

soo jealous. wish I had the knowledge and tools and garage to be able to buy a busted GTV and get it back into working state.

you got yourself a beut there. teledials. twin raggazon exhaust. red lether interior.

good luck looking forward to seeing more pictures and the finished article. interested in cost. because GTV parts are not cheap. your gonna be looking at about 2-3 grand for the engine right??
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 GTA

Hi Adam, hows it progressing? Looks a nice car and will sound great with that quad exhaust. I'll still beat you though! That is as long as you dont put race cams in So I presume you wont be able to make to Norfolk run on the 19th then? Sort it out!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

blown , gtv , rebuild , thread