Flashing AirCon Light? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Flashing AirCon Light?

Hi All,

Hopefully someone can help me with this....
I normally have my climate and fan switches set as far left as they go. This would mean that the temperature on the climate control is down below the 18 degrees marking and the fan is switched off.

Normally when i start the car with this setup the AirCon/Climate light comes on automatically with a minimal amount of cool air coming through the vents. I would then simply press the AirCon light button to switch it off.

However today when starting the car, the aircon light comes on, but instead of staying on straight away, it flashes at me 8 times before staying on fully. The cold air seems to be coming out ok, and with the fans turned up, it does get quite chilly. I can still switch it off using the ligth button. So it seems to be working fine, but obviously it's trying to tell me something.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Pressure within the climate system? Temperature sensor failure?
I've searched the forum and cannot find another post on this subject.

Your help would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
Re: Flashing AirCon Light?

I haven't got a spider but when my air con does this it means that the air con is off (no snow flake symbol light) and the external temperature is hotter than the temperature you want it to be. In other words it can't do what you want.
County: Warwickshire
I am guessing that you have probably solved the problem by now but I also couldn't find the relevant info on the flashing aircon led light on the forum.
The climate control does a system check when it switches on and if there is a fault it flashes the aircon buttons led. Normally 8 flashes are the outside air temperature sensor is at fault, this is located in the door mirror on RHD cars this is in the passenger mirror and can be seen as a black dimple sticking out of the bottom of the mirror case. If you take the internal finishing corner cover off the door, the multiplug for the mirror is behind, if you unplug the mirror, switch on ignition and check that you still have the same fault code (8 flashes). To test the sensor plug a multimeter on the resistance setting onto the 2 green wires which are at the end of the plug next to the missing pin, resistance should be 20-23 depending on temperature. It is possible to replace just the sensor if you can get one seperate or off a damaged mirror. To do this carefully remove the mirror glass, this is done by tilting the mirror glass and using a small screw driver so that you can get behind the glass and easy the plastic claws that retain the mirror glass onto the mirror adjustment motor housing. The sensor is then visable in the bottom of the mirror, follow the wires back into the sleaving which is clipped to the mirror internal frame and inside are 2 small spade terminals to disconnect. Plug in new one, test resistance on multiplug then reclip glass back in. Should now solve your flashing led light on the A/C climate control panel.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

aircon , flashing , light