Buying Advice please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 02-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
Buying Advice please

Hi All,

Begining of this year i sold my 156 sportwagon and im still regretting it - Soooo its back to Alfa territory again only this time i quite like the look of the GTV coupe.

Soooo, could you knowledgable lot gimme a bit of advice on the what to do's and not to do's about buying

A couple of questions i have in mind before i start is what can i expect to get for around 3k - 3.5k ?

How thisty are the 3 litre V6's and how do they cope with the 220 bhp?

What kind of boot space do they have and how much room for rear passengers ( i have a 6 year old son)

What to look for when buying ?

Do you know of any good ones for sale

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater London
Re: Buying Advice please

Hi Dave

I've only had my GTV v6 a week so too soon to answer the fuel figures as I love the sound/feel of the engine so keep it in second a bit too long and let the revs roar.

Alfa Romeo GTV Buyer's Guide has a useful buyers guide. With the V6 it should smoothly power up to around 7000rpmsbefore the safety cut out. So do that in 2nd to make sure the sensors aren't causing a power drop too early.

I expected a car with all round disc brakes to stop better, I'm sure my old focus with drums does a better job. So worth checking wear on the discs and factor into price.

When driving hard I find alot of heat comes into the cabin through the centre vents which is cured by shutting them on switching on the climate control. My climate controls comes on automatically, first I thought that was a fault but from the manual it's a setting which can be disabled.

My 5 foot nephew got in the back with 5`11 me in the front, his knees were either side of the front seat. Younger 4'5 ish niece was fine. Headroom was good in the back for a coupe.

Got 4 full supermarket bags in the boot along with my 2 tennis rackets, it's pretty deep, that's with the spare wheel too. just don't expect a large or medium suitcase.

Hopefully the long time owners can give you more details, by the way did I say I was loving my V6.
AO Member

Hi much as previous post.

You can expect MPG to be low to mid 20's or over 30 if you are careful on the motorway (which is hard as you really will love the engine note).

For passengers if you are over 6ft then you will only get 1 person in the back behind the passenger in the front and it depends on how much they can move the seat forward!

I do not have a spare tyre, just a foam inflating canister, so my boot is amazingly spacious, never struggle with the monthly shop except for toliet rolls that normally go on the back seat. I regularly go away for weekends with the other half and we get a fair sized suitcase, walking boots, coats and back packs in no worries.

As for the power, you get torque steer when flooring it from 1st and 2nd but once you get used to it its fine. I have the 240BHP so this may be more noticeable in my car.

Overall the link to the buyers guide is great, can also check out the Alfaworkshop site as they have a guide as well.

There are a few on Pistonheads at the mo so good luck and enjoy
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 03-09-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Cheers for the replies.

I test drove a 2.0 TS yesterday nd thought wow what a nice drive so cant wait to get inside a V6 for a test drive lol. It did give us the opportunity to hae a good look over the inside and the boot etc and i reckon we should just be about to squeeze our son in the back so i think its gonna be All go once we have found the right one

Im gonna be having a look at a lot of pics and read as much info as poss today but my first thoughts are leaning towards a Silver / blue body with red leather and dash or a black / red body with Tan leather - The one we saw yesterday was the dark blue with a black leather interior and it all felt a little dark and dingy inside so def want a lighter interior.
AO Silver Member
County: Sao Tome upon The Grand Union

dave...the boot's useless compared to a 156 but you can get in a suitcase and a soft bag. the rear seats are for small children and shorter older'll only fit in adults with whom you've decided to end any form of friendship but youll forgive it anything for that V6....just get one and forget about everyhing...
remember....the only way to arrive is in an Alfa Romeo

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advice , buying