please, give advise on my disc brakes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 25-08-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Distrito Federal
please, give advise on my disc brakes

hi, today i found a little crack about 1 inch in my front brake disc.Should I change it or not?In case i have to change it, could someone tell or advice me what i have to do.I donīt know about these and i would like to know something before take any action.Thanks in advance to al of you for your support.My car is an spider 3.0 v6 1998.ok?
Sponsored Links
Re: please, give advise on my disc brakes

Yes you must change it. The disk will eventually break apart, possibly damaging other parts but definitely compromising your braking. Changing a disk is relatively straightforward but, at the risk of being patronising, if you have to ask you need to get someone else to do it for you. There are plenty of times when you can save money, but you can't compromise with brakes - I might be coming the other way when they fail!
AO Member
County: -

Just reinforcing the reply below.

You dont skimp on brakes or tyres, life is too short as it is.

Get the disc changed asap.

agreed that a cracked disc should be changed (well both sides), but is it a crack? if you have washed your car and parked it with wet pads/discs then when you move it next the outline of the pads leaves a fient line on the face, which can look like a crack, lost count of the times i have had to calm people down who thought the brakes were cracked like that. post a pic and we will have a look, if you say its a little crack then this could be it, cracks in discs usually open up quite well, then ususally shatter soon after (seen that a few times also, you DON'T need that )
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

' Last time I had a nasty judder it turned out to be a cracked disk, if that had broken up at 80 on the M5 that week as I was travelling back from Locking would have got 10/10 for artistic impression but don't think I'd have been around to collect........ !! '

^^ That's a comment I made on another Thread recently. Imagine what would happen if the crack opened up enough so that a brake pad would fit into it, instant stop on one side followed by massive mechanical break up. Wouldn't bother you much though, you'd be unlikely to be around to worry about the repair bills.

Please, please fix it now and drive very gingerly to the garage.

Good luck.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! -TBA

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

advise , brakes , disc , give