Has returned! Glad
to be back.
AO Silver Member
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Wing mirror diy fix?
I did it at the weekend, following the guide above.
I used Araldite and it's fine. I had to do it twice though, the first time I hadn't lined it up quite right, and used some tape to hold it together whilst it set. It wasn't strong enough, and started coming away as I reassembled the unit.
So I pulled it apart again, cleaned all the old glue off with a wire brush and did it again. I sat and held it pressed together really hard for 10 minutes whilst it set. Hands cramped up a bit, but it was worth it as it seems as good as new.
I was a bit worried that it wouldn't have enough strength to be swivelled once in place, but it does.
I've been bombing it around since Sunday and all is well. For 30 minutes work it's well worth giving it a go.
I would recommend using a really thin screwdriver to get to the bolts behind the mirror, I had a real problem with that as mine was a little too wide.
Also... and this is important... when bolting the thing back on the door make sure you tie a length of thread to the bolts. I dropped one inside the door frame never to be seen again. It's very fiddly.