Fitting replacement window regulator - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-07-08 Thread Starter
Hmmm Fitting replacement window regulator

Hi All

The window regulator has died on my 2002 GTV 2.0, so sourced a replacment untit overnight and am ready to replace. I checked and all the fuses and relays are OK. The car only does 20-40 miles a week as I normally drive my 147 - guess lack of use knackered the motor?

I have already had the trim off which is easy enough, but want to check any specific instructions/advice or process before I try and replace.

I had a good look on here for any previous intructions, but couldn't find any!

Tools are not a problem - just want to make sure I do it right the first time!

Thanks in advance all.
Sponsored Links
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
Re: Fitting replacement window regulator

I'm sure that there are Threads about this but a quick search didn't reveal them.

However you sound pretty confident and it's not a difficult job but there are some pitfalls.

Replacing the actual bit is self explanatory but will result in a fair amount of cussing and scraped arms. Assuming you get this done next TRIAL fit the door card and check everything, windows, locking from inside and outside and with keys and remote. I didn't and thought I'd got the job hacked until I tried to lock with the key, the lock was jammed solid.

Took some time to find out but this was caused by the Bowden Cable from the lock to the interior handle, take care, it's very fussy about the routing and there is no guides to help - trial and error !

Were it not for this snag the whole job would have been done in about two hours, as it was..................

Adjustments, if required, are a pain, I think again there are some Threads on this. Jamie Porter used to have a guide on his web site, may still be there so worth a look.

Good Luck !

Have a look here....
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

It's fairly straightforward getting the old one out and fitting, although the window glass is heavy and an extra pair of hands would have been nice to have when I did mine. The real difficulty is aligning the window again, and setting the auto up/down cam position so it drops the right amount. Sounds easy, but it's quite difficult to judge correctly and needed a lot of trial and error. The proper alignment tools would have made it a whole lot easier, I think. I wrote a few words on here about the procedure, I'm sure I did.

Edit: I'll put up the relevant pages from the workshop manual later tonight, should be useful if you haven't already got them.

Edit: Uploaded the pages in a zip file here: GTV Spider Window Regulator Fitting

Last edited by jonno; 25-10-08 at 19:43. Reason: Re-uploaded the zip file to new URL
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 31-07-08 Thread Starter

Nice one.

Thanks Jonno and Nige

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

fitting , regulator , replacement , window