My new GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 19-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 Lusso

Wave My new GTV

So I took the plunge & bought my very first Alfa - a 99T GTV 3.0 V6 with 77k on the clock. I fell in love with it as soon as i pulled out of the forecourt for the test drive and heard THAT noise. I have heard people banging on about how the alfa V6 is the best sounding engine in the world, but just didn't get it until yesterday...
Cosmetically it's just about perfect, with only a single stone chip on the nose, HOWEVER...
It wouldn't be an alfa if there wasn't at least something wrong with it, so here's the list, and maybe a couple of you could help:

1. the fuel gauge doesn't work - i just stuck £50 in the tank and presumed it would get me from Huddersfield to Hull.

2. The exhaust vibrates a bit at idle and over big bumps - I had the same problem with my clio 172 cup a couple of years ago and it turned out that it was just the rubber mount that had perished. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent, but reasonably priced new cat-back system that will keep the beautiful sound my car makes? and how much should i budget for it?

3. the power seems to tail off a bit and/or be a bit intermittent in the higher rev range. My mechanic friend reckons that either it needs new sparkies or the injectors need cleaning. any ideas? Cambelts were changed at 66k so i don't think it's those that are slipping.

4. it has the same windscreen wiper issues that i keep reading about on here, i.e. not returning to the bottom of the screen when turned off. any solutions at all?

Other than that - it drives, sounds and looks incredible, and I'm very pleased with my purchase at only £2750!

If anyone has any ideas regarding the above, please let me know.

James <<<<<< enormous grin

{edit} - the car seems to kangaroo slightly in first when the engine is cold, fine once in second gear, and the problem disappears after the first 5 mins when the engine warms up.
any ideas?

Last edited by byronslingsby; 20-07-08 at 08:51.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Sussex

Member car:

E82 125i

Re: My new GTV

I'm fairly confident that you need a new Air-Flow-Meter (AFM or MAF) - very common and will solve no.3.

If you think it goes well now, when you get the AFM replaced you'll be amazed!
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 21-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6 Lusso

where do i get that, and how much will it cost?
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk

Originally Posted by byronslingsby View Post
where do i get that, and how much will it cost?
Here you go:-

Fiat Parts and Alfa Romeo Parts from Shop4Parts

I really do recommend them - I have no connection other than as a customer.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider