Air Filter housing question. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Air Filter housing question.

Right, my GTV is slow as a hamster with 3 legs!

I was going to have a quick look at the state of the air filter today as a possible cause.

There are three screws holding the air filter housing together, 1 I managed to loosen, the other two are impossible. One has no screw drivable head, it is just a flat metal circle, the other is rounded off completely. They are all rusted to death! I assume the filter is very old as these screws haven't been out in a while. Also of the three screws which secure the MAF into the air filter housing, 2 nuts I can undo, the third sheared off all together!

Need guidance. Is there any way to remove the whole air filter housing for some fibreglass reconstruction?

Or am I better off biting the bullet and buying a CDA?

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Re: Air Filter housing question.

I'm afraid this is quite normal, especially if it hasn't been apart for a while. Start with plenty of WD 40. Then I'm afraid you just have to attack them as gently as you're able. A Dremel or small angle grinder so do the trick on the MAF ones. The lower ones go into some large metal studs which are threaded. Unsurprisingly metal corrodes to metal rather better than plastic so you end up unscrewing the whole lot. I drilled one of mine out then put an appropriate long bolt all the way through. Its just a little initiative test from the engineers at Alfa.

Neilly Wheely
GTV and Racing Driver
AO Member

I used a set of mole grips to undo mine. Took a lot of messing around, but managed to do it.
Like Neilly mentioned, you just drill or break the rusty screws out of the filter housing lid and replace with longer bolts and a nut.
The 2 nuts holding the plates on top of the MAF might be okay, if not I would drill out the broken thread, and again just glue a new one in.
AO Member

I have used plastic number plate screws and nuts to hold my air filter assembly together so that they cannot rust up again.
AO Member

Member car:

98 GTV 2.0 TS

Yep, had exactly the same 'fun' this last weekend... I ended up drilling the old screws out and replacing with some long bolts from the local DIY store.

The wife's face was a picture when I strolled out to the car, all grumpy, power drill in hand... ha ha

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

air , filter , housing , question