Buying a broken gtv? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 09-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

106 gti

Buying a broken gtv?

Hi guys i'm ery close to buying a local, broken gtv.
This is the description of the car from the ad
"98 Alfa Romeo Gtv 2.0 Twin Spark
bought it few months back and were told it needed valves in the head replaced, when changing the head gasket it wasn't timed up right, it is still running but obviously not great.
Also has slight damage to passenger front bumper and bonnet (both cracked), other than that it is in good condition.
The car has no mot or tax."

Now the car is cheap enough that if all else fails I could break it back even in all likelihood, but it looks a nice car and i'd really like to drive it.
Does anyone have any advice when going to view it?
I have read the buyers guide but in particular I mean when listening to the engine?
In a dreamland I guess the engine would just be mistimed and the valves would be straight, is there any possibility of this? If so hoe would I tell? Alternatively are there any signs that the engine is scrap?
I'm budgetting in to the price a belt, tensioner, variator and spark plug change. Thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Re: Buying a broken gtv?

If it has been running with valves and pistons touching then the pistons are likely to be damaged, and the big end shells will, almost certainly be damaged as well.

You may get lucky, but I would budget for a replacement engine in case.

The fact it doesn't have an MOT would worry me, if for arguements sake there was rear suspension issues it could cost hundreds to put right.

In good order a 1998 GTV T-spark is going to be worth between £1500 and £2000 IMO, so depending on how much it is to buy it may not be worth doing.

How many miles has it got, is there any service history, are all the keys present, etc, this will affect the projects viability.

It may have suffered a failed cambelt and it hasn't been repaired correctly. Now the owner is trying to get rid.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Would have to be REALLY cheap to make it viable. You are looking at a potential money pit. As Symond said the bill could run into 4 figures. The basics alone, cambelt etc is going to be in the £400 bracket minimum and suspension problems are well documented and expensive to repair. Could save a lot if you are happy to do the work yourself but don't underestimate the cost of parts.

If the owner agreed to put it through an MoT it you would feel easier as this would show up any suspension or other non engine related problems. As it is it sounds like a leap into the dark......

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! -TBA

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.
AO Silver Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

I think it would have to be free to make it viable. Parts cost loads for these cars.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 09-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

106 gti

It has all 3 keys, 71k with a service history. It's not a million miles away from free to be perfectly honest and with new 17 inch alloys on it, it would be free if I sold them.
Thanks for the advice, anyone know of a reliable yard for engines?
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 09-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

106 gti

Ps how could I test the suspension for faults? Particulary expensive rear subframe issues?
There's not much chance of getting an mot on a car that's not running lol

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

broken , buying , gtv