Is my GTV running cold? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Re: Is my GTV running cold?

I thought mine was running slightly cool - took quite a long time to warm up, and normally ran between 70-85ish but would drop back below 70 on the open road. I pulled my thermostat out and found that it would not fully close - it had become distorted and was shutting on a slight angle, leaving about 1-2mm gap around one side. With the new thermostat it warms up quicker (although not quickly - approx 4 miles) and stays warmer under all circumstances - now 80-90 at all times. It seems then that the thermostats can have 3 states: working, failed (open or closed) and partially failed! It is a cheap part and very easy to change and, although it did not make a dramatic difference it gives peace of mind because if it partially fails and does not close properly it may also fail to fully open at a time when you need it most.
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #27 of 29 Old 25-07-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

2002 GTV 2.0 TS

How do you change it? Is it really that easy?

On a V6 it just a case of syphoning the expansion tank, removing the clamp from the radiator to thermostat housing hose, undo the three 11mm bolts on the thermostat housing and lift it off. (The thermostat is built into the housing). Then reverse the procedure, except I replaced the Alfa hose clamps with a jubilee clamp (about 45mm). Thermostat from EB spares comes with gasket and is about £20. A bit more involved on a TS I believe - I'm sure there are directions on here or the other forum if you search.
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
I think I'm heading for yet another thermostat .............. Takes a while to warm up, and temp sits at just short of 90 (probably somewhere around 80).......... But tonite I was revving the engine some for a few minutes trying desperately to get out of some snow going forward and reverse several times and the temp went just over 90........ If it is bollixed this'll be the third one in two bl**dy years ........ Unless where it's been really cold lately there is too much cold air hitting the rad ...............

I'll need to get it checked.

Cheers to All

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

cold , gtv , running