Fuel Gauge Dead. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 29-06-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Fuel Gauge Dead.

As in most Spiders, my fuel gauge was a little temperamental, reading correctly about half of the time and sitting on empty the rest.
Now, after a recent service (cambelt, variator etc. by a very good mechanic) it will not move from empty.
The needle still climbs from just below empty to dead-on empty when I start the ignition.
This is really starting to annoy me as I cannot judge how much fuel is in the tank - I don't know how much is in there, so when I top up I am never sure of the total amount in the tank (and no, I can't fill her up as I have yet to win the lottery :-))
Does anyone know how this problem could be solved? I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty and I do have the official repair guide. I did ask my mechanic, but he said he may have to take the tank out of the car - which would become very expensive.

Because it was so temperamental at first, I assume it's either a bad connection somewhere or some mechanical part needs cleaned. However, I don't really know how the gauge works, so I need advice :-)

// '98 Spider 2.0 T.Spark //
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Re: Fuel Gauge Dead.

Sender unit is accessible from under the rear seats in the GTV so under your 'shelf' in the Spider; there's an access panel. Sounds as though the float gets stuck. basically the sender unit is a potentiometer or variable resistance depending if it is controlling the p.d. (in volts) or the current (in amperes). Some have the fuel filter incorporated.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

dead , fuel , gauge