cam/variator/headgasket - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 23-06-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

GREAT NEWS dont need a cylinder head just had it tested iam having it skimmed as well iam changing belts and stuff but my variator is noisy does anyone know how to take it of its pretty hard is there a nack also i need a variator not bothed if it s bran new just as long as it dosent rattle as iam selling my beloved gtv to get a newer version can any one help with a variator i can come collect
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: cam/variator/headgasket

Originally Posted by squaddie73 View Post
my variator is noisy does anyone know how to take it of its pretty hard is there a nack
The inlet cam needs to come out, put in a vice with SOFT jaws (putting the camshaft vertically actually works best) and then use a removal tool (either home made like I did or a bought one). Fitting the new one is the reverse of removal and you also need to apply some medium strength loctite to the thread before screwing the new one in.

Pics in the following two posts:-
AO Gold Member
County: Perth and Kinross
Re: cam/variator/headgasket

I found that using the old timing belt as vice protectors worked well. Pics in the 'TDC' link above.

It's not that hard to remove if you get a good grip on the camshaft, and have a nice long bar to give you leverage.

You might find a variator on takes your chance though. My old one wasn't too bad...I don't know if they can be refurbished (haven't taken mine apart yet!)

Edit: This is the cheapest one on ebay at the moment. I've a feeling it's been relisted. It's the old part number, which is the one prone to becoming rattly.

Alfa Romeo/Fiat Advance Variator on eBay, also, Alfa Romeo, Car Parts, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 25-Jun-08 21:15:49 BST)

Last edited by iainfm; 23-06-08 at 18:07.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider