New GTV, overheating / rolling idle - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 19-05-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Cheese New GTV, overheating / rolling idle

Hi guys,

I've just bought my first Alfa (GTV 2.0 TS) it's a fantastic car However I have found a few problems I didn't notice while test driving it. Hopefully nothing too major but I wonder if anybody had any advice...

Basically even when idle the temp rises above 90C and the fan come on and cools it down. When driving around town the temp can get up to around 100 maybe 110 but always cools down again. On the motorway the temp sits at just below 90. I'm thinking of flushing the raditor and possibly changing the thermostat. I assume the water pump is ok as it manages to cool itself down - then again maybe just one of the impellors has broke. Has anybody had any experience with this?

Secondly, I've seen this on the forum before I bought the car, the 'rolling idle' problem. Basically the revs drop very low and sometimes stall when you come to a stop at a junction. Give is a quick tap on the throttle and its happy again. Idle when not moving is fine at about 800rpm.

Strangley though, as far as I an see, the problem doesnt really occur when the temp is below 90C. Even when its dead on 90 it doesnt seem to have much problem. However once its above the mark it much more prone to this behaviour.
Are these two seperate problems or is the high temperature playing havoc with the ECU?

Any suggestions are most welcome
Sorry for the long post!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
Re: New GTV, overheating / rolling idle

Did you get this problem sorted?

Mine has started doing the same thing, after been stored for a few months.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

gtv , idle , overheating , rolling