I have a phase 1 GTV with upper and lower centre consoles. They come from the factory with a crappy rubber finish. Over the 12 years and 151k miles it's been scratched and scored so I thought I'd have a bash at smartening it up.
Before : http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/DSC00291.jpg
Started off by getting a console off a breaker. Didn't want to rush doing it and it's my only car so I wanted to fix it first then install it.
I tried a number of different liquids to get the finish off, but it wasn't working, so I ended up using a very coarse wet and dry paper. This took around 3 hours for the upper console as it's very fiddly and an hour for the lower one. I gradually smoothed the scratches away with 400 then 1200 grit paper.
When the upper part was smooth I sprayed with 3 layers of primer, between each layer checking for finish and smoothness. After building up the layers I started on the black.
4 layers of black built up and dried overnight. Then 3 coats of clear acrylic varnish clear coat stuff. Repeated the same for the lower console. Couldn't get the lighter socket out easily, so masked off during spaying.
Finally, dried overnight and then on to fitting. The lower console must come out first. Remove the ashtray and remove the headlight leveller screw gentle with a small flat bladed screwdriver. In each aperture is a hex Allen bolt. Carefully undo and keep safe. Next, remove the carpet panels on the side of the tunnel in each foot well. This will expose 2 further screws at the end of the console to join to the upper console, remove and wobble and carefully remove the console. (There are 2 plastic and rubber locator's on the bottom of the upper console) Remove each electrical connector and you should be able to remove the console completely.
The upper console is removed by undoing the two screws you have just exposed by taking out the lower console. There are two further screws behind the top air vents. The best way to remove is again with a flat head screwdriver from the sides and gently pry out. Finally remove the 3 heater and ventilation controls to expose the final 2 tiny screws. With all 6 screws out you should have enough slack to remove the cables attached to the dials.
With the console clear at last, you should be able to remove all the dials and controls. Refit is the reverse of removal.
The final results is good. Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than before!
If you want to buy a spare console to do yours, I know where you can get one! http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/parts...ts-n-bobs.html