Getting new keys - a saga - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 14-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: -
Getting new keys - a saga

I finally collected my keys from Arnold Clark in Aberdeen on saturday after no less than four trips and several attempts to get them ordered!

It took me two calls to actually get one key ordered. Then I was told, when I first went in to get it coded, that I had to get another 2nd key ordered due to how the system is coded?!! So I had to wait another week or so for the second key to arrive.

Then I went into dealer again to get the work done and was told the keys needed cut, so come back in a weeks time. I went back and they were still not cut, so they said come back again in a few days.

The third time I met a different chap and he said that they did not have a cutting machine and it would be easier to take them to timpsons to get them cut myself.

I did this (5 quid per key) and came back on saturday and finally got them coded. To my surprise the chap went out to the car and coded each key seperately, so no need for 2 keys!!?? Although it means I have an extra spare..

I got my keys for an extortionate £60.99 each, the good thing is I never paid for any coding as the chap probably felt too guilty to charge me (he was the best of the staff I met) so he did it for free. Still it took several trips and calls to get something which should be easy to get done..

In the end the whole experience has left a sour taste and I would say I will not be taking a trip to the dealer for any work ever again. I can't trust a dealer where their staff do not have a clue what they are talking about, and if they don't know something they just make something up to get you off their backs instead of asking someone else.

I have in mind to write to Alfa Romeo about how shoddy some of their dealerships are for what is in my opinion a good marque. They should not associate themselves with dealerships like this.

Well just to give any of you in my area a heads up because although I hope it is rare treatment in my case, this shows how bad our local dealership can be..

To err is human, but you need an Alfa to really screw things up!

The road to heaven is paved with old Alfa's.
Sponsored Links
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
Re: Getting new keys - a saga

Another ongoing key saga ! There is a variety of Threads on this topic and also a wide variation of costs. All I can say for sure is that I sourced 2 blanks from eBay for a tenner each and had them cut and coded for less than a tenner the pair at the local market. He also said that Fiat keys would've worked fine ! I did have the " Master " key and was told that this was required by the key cutter, other people have said that a " Red " key can be copied from another " Red " key !

Have read a lot on this topic and still don't know the definitive answer, if in fact there is one.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

... EDIT

Sorry, I'm thinking of 156, which uses a different key system to GTV/Spider.

Shame about Arnold Clark, but then I haven't heard much good stuff about them to be honest!
AO Silver Member

There isnt one answer it depends on the code system. My punto has to have keys from italy with the variable code chips in them - like the mjachnik's and be coded in the dealership. Older Fiats can be done at Tympsons. So I expect Alfas are no different.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

keys , saga