Fitting Wheel Bearing - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 12-04-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Hmmm Fitting Wheel Bearing

Hi guys,
New to this site. Just got the GTV back on the road and took her to RS Tuning for rolling road diagnostcs, but in doing so, the FNS wheel bearing is on its way out.
Does anyone have a detailed description of what needs to be done to replace it yourself, or is it a job for the garage?
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: British Columbia
Re: Fitting Wheel Bearing

I've moved this to the GTV lounge, hope you get it sorted.
AO Member

Member car:

1999 156 1.8 T.S

Re: Fitting Wheel Bearing

Hello Mick,
I'm no expert on the Alfa range in the way of knowing what is fitted as standard issue throughout the range of Alfa's but I have done an N/S/F wheel bearing on my 156. It's easy enough to do. If it's the same set up as mine then one thing you will need is a press to get the old outer race out from the housing its fitted into and a gas axe to remove the inner race from the hub. You can grind away the inner race to almost through and whack it with a hammer n it should crack it. Once cracked it should slide off with ease, but there is still the matter of removing the outer race from the housing and then press the whole new bearing back into it. If you have ABS on your car, then the new bearing come with a magnet inside it which works with the ABS to allow it to sense that the wheels are turning or not. for this reason you should under any circumstances hit the bearing to install it into the housing like we used to on older cars as this will damage the magnet and then your ABS wont work grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol.
So you can strip it down easy enuf, then just take your bits and the new bearing to a decent garage and ask them to just replace the worn bearing with the new one you have supplied. Then just re fit it all in the reverse order as they say in the haynes comics lol.
My bearing cost me about £70 ish and was charged £20 by my local garage to swap the old bearin with the new one. If I still worked as a fitter I could of done the whole job with ease but as I don't have access to a press these days I had to entrust the bearin swap to some one else lol.
I live in the Midlands so if you need a hand and I'm not working I'll be more than happy to come over n give you a hand to pull it apart with you ?

All the best

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

bearing , fitting , wheel