Help! What is this? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 29-03-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

1998 GTV 2.0

Help! What is this?

Dear all,

Last week, my wife reversed her GTV onto the drive and a loose paving slab flipped up and smacked the bottom of the car. The steering suddenly went stiff (she said it locked in place?) and she couldn't turn the wheel. I think the engine was still running ok, but she turned it straight off.

When she got out, the part in the attached photos was lying on the ground. I am currently laid up recovering from a minor op, so am unable to get out and crawl around under the car.

Can anyone tell me what it is? It looks like the central bolt in the part behind the pulley has sheared off. I am asuming it is something to do with the power steering system? As it was smacked from below, I would also assume it is at the bottom of the engine bay somewhere.

I am just interested to know so I don't get stiffed if it has to go to a local garage, or perhaps it is something I can fit once I'm better?
I'm sure it's obvious to someone on here, but not being a mechanic, I am happy to admit my lack of ability to know what it is staright away.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1.jpg (89.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2.jpg (35.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3.jpg (90.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4.jpg (89.3 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Cardiff
Re: Help! What is this?

It's the drive belt tensioner, thats the reason the power steering has gone. If you are going to try and drive it to a garage, be warned that the alternator won't be charging either so you may not get that far before the cars cuts out.

If the bolt has snapped flush with the engine, I think your going to be in trouble. Your not going to be able to get a drill to it easily. You may need the drop the engine off the mounts on the drivers side so you can get at it.
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

Have to agree. I hope that it's not going to be as nasty as it looks. Good luck and fix that ****** paving slab !
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 Lusso

They cost around £25.00 and about £10 for the belt. I had mine snap while driving and considering it runs the brakes, power steering and Air Con it was a awful experience.

You may however have a bit of an issue if the bolt has sheared off.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider