2.0L GTV Battery Drain - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL
Re: 2.0L GTV Battery Drain

Originally Posted by Futra View Post
Finally got around to removing the radio - battery drain without ignition or alarm on dropped from 0.18 (with radio connected but apparently switched off) to 0.03.

Just tested connection box behind stereo and as mentioned in other threads - there are 2 live direct battery connections, and no ignition switched live.

There are various other wires running behind the box, most which seem quite tight - but including a fairly loose one with a round connector and something like 9 circular pins.

Does anyone know the best way to pick up a switched (post ignition) live - don't really want to just go pulling wires randomly?
Don't know which wire is which but I would get the meter set on dc volts and then check the likely wires for a switched feed, if need be just scrape back a little insulation on the wire to get the meter probe in. Don't forget to tape this afterwards.!

Hope you find one without too much bother.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

I reckon you've gone from 180mA to 30mA (milli amps) by disconnecting your battery. 30mA is ok. 180mA definitely isn't!

You may have seen some of my posts on this subject as I had the same issue as you. I am no auto-elec expert (I know my elec theory though) but I think you should be careful about just using any feed off the ignition. A radio can use some pretty serious current and could blow fuses if connected to the wrong thing.

The way my panasonic radio works is not unusual...
There are actually two power line inputs on the radio: one that "senses" the ignition line and one that feeds from a direct connection to the battery. The battery connection provides the real power. the ignition sense line just tells the radio to switch off properly.

The problem on the GTV's is that the car wiring (to the radio) has these two lines connected together to the battery. In my case I just "doctored" the ISO connector (car side): I snipped (what is supposed to be) the sense cable and connected it to an ignition line. I found a handy ignition line that my nokia phone kit was using. This sense line to the radio usually takes next to no current so there's not much chance things can go wrong.

Its not rocket science but it can be very confusing stuff. I'd say if you can't decipher the wiring diagrams in the radio's manual get yourself off to a auto electrician.
AO Member

Member car:

98 GTV 2.0 TS

Yep, going through the exact same problems at the moment... Battery was draining over 4 days or so but now it's down to 24hrs, still power in there just not enough to start the car.

My car has an aftermarket Alpine CD that isn't wired to the ignition so I thought it must be that. Had it out yesterday to check the wiring but decided to just disconnect it as an experiment first... Started it using my Black n Decker Booster Pack thingy [best £60 I've spent since having this car] and went for a nice long drive.

This morning... battery fooked again. Any clues? next step will be to take out all the courtesy light bulbs [wife says I wont miss them as I "don't do courtesy!"] and see what happens then.

Any help/advice would be very gratefully received...

Last edited by P9 GTV; 08-04-08 at 09:02.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

20l , battery , drain , gtv