Really good polish - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 25-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

147 Gta

Really good polish

Any idea where I could go to get my lovely gtv polished? Its could do with a good going over with an industrial polisher, maybe even getting the paint cut back in certain areas, but I have no idea of any company that could do it for me. Someone like Chips away would only remove individual scratches i think, not go over the whole car.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 159 Lusso

Re: Really good polish

Any good valeting company will be able to "mop" it for you if it really needs it. should cost in the region of £100-£150.

I would suggest trying to give it a "T-cut" it yourself, and then give it a good polish and wax. Then if your not happy with the results resort to paying a pro!

With regards to polishes, u can never go far wrong with Auto glym and Meguirs (Meguirs allso do a 3step system, renovate/polish/wax which is very good and only about £20 for the lot)
jay w

For the sake of a days worth of polishing i would try and do it myself first.

Mine didn't have a deep shine when i first got it, took me mearly a whole day to get it to the point where it looked the business.

Wash it down with a hose
Car shampoo and warm water
Wash down again
Maguires Clay
Carnuba wax (this is the most labourious part but god is it worth it)
Magires trim protector for all the plastic trim
Glass cleaner.

Then start in the inside

The end result is truely the business, and being black is shows off the shine so well.
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

GTV Cup No.127

Originally Posted by jay w View Post
and being black is shows off the shine so well.
That is until you get the slightest bit of dust/dirt on it. I love black cars, look fantastic when clean but awful when even a little bit dirty.
AO Member

You might as well keep a kit in your car... In the summer I keep a Microfiber and a quik detailer spray with me LOL!
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Just did my black gtv at the weekend, sorry I don't have any pictures but here's how I did it... looks good though

rinse down with warm water
wash with Zymol auto wash & sheepskin mit
rinse down again with well rinsed sheepskin mit

(or got to you local romanian wash they usually clean well enough to go to stage 3

blade off and dry with meguiars water magnet (always found them better than a chamois on black cars as they seem to get off the water stains better)

I then went over the car a panel section at a time with Zymol HD Cleanse which cleans the paint of impurities, excellent stuff and less time consuming than claybar, this bring the paint up nice and shiny.

finally to seal that shine I applied some Zymol wax I got in a starter kit for a birthday once...excellent stuff. do one panel at a time - warm the wax up in the palm of the hands then apply (by hand) leave to go off for a few mins then buff off gently with clean microfibre folded once

about 3.5 hours start to finish

there is another 5 stage process i've used on tired black paint before but it really is an all day affair

Wash as above
go over car with orbital and meguiars Fine Cut cleaner and yellow pad
then go over whole car with meguiars swirl remover and yellow pad
then finally seal with Meguiars Polymer sealant using a brown pad

cleaning the car is one of lifes simple pleasures for me....but if you can't be bothered with all that take it somewhere :-D
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot

Check the trade village / detailing section. Nomad had his car done and it looked great Not cheap though but then quality never is
AO Member
County: Suffolk

Member car:

916 GTV

Hi Iain,

I am a professional car detailer based in Surrey but can travel to Essex with no problems.

I sponsor the detailing section on here, have a look at the following post to see what can be done: (theshinexperience: Nomads Brera)

Dave went for the full service but If you are not looking to go that far then I am sure we can come up with a suitable package for you.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

good , polish