My GTV2.0TS just drank 2.0l of Oil! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Drunk My GTV2.0TS just drank 2.0l of Oil!

My GTV2.0TS just drank 2.0l of Oil in a weekend!!!

Hey guys, I brought the GTV about 3-4 months ago and i love it... its great. I had to top her up with 1.5 litres after about a month, and i topped her up again before driving to Paris last weekend.

My problem is I burnt 2xlitres of oil over 750 miles.... I was driving (very) hard @ about 120mph for long spells, max'ed out @ 143mph (down a long straight hill on a toll road) for a test and was almost always over a ton.

Does it sound like I have a drink problem? Or is this expected from the TS if driven hard?

Also, after the oil burn, I smelt the car becoming hot, when I noticed it had burnt the oil and no oil was registered on the stick! Steam came out of the dipstick hole.... I promptly topped her up with a couple of litres and all seems fine (I found some 5/40 Shell stuff with 'repair' stuff apparently recommended by Ferrari). Would anyone recommend anything like this for a little TLC after her efforts?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: My GTV2.0TS just drank 2.0l of Oil!

I used to drive my Spider exactly the same way, day in day out for 8 months all over Europe. It used oil, but never as much as you describe (approx. 1L of oil every 1500 miles.)

The TS is known for using oil, but tbh yours sounds somewhat excessive. Running it empty is also a bit of problem as the bottom end may have been starved of oil, which I believe can come back to bite you on the bum a couple of months later.

As a side point, all those hard miles took their toll on my car too - it practically fell to pieces and cost over 6k in repairs!

-1998 916 Spider 2.0TS Lusso-
H&S Corse stage 1.
CATCAMs stage 1 cams with Savali custom ECU remap.
305mm discs with 166 4-pot callipers.
Ragazzon exhaust mid section.
Biscione Racing 2x70mm rear section.
Polybush suspension.
17" Zender Siena wheels with 3mm rear spacers.
etc etc etc!
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 18-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hampshire

Cheers Euroboy... I'll mention it when i get the next service done (only a couple of weeks).... I think ill start keeping a record of exactly how much I am putting it....

Repairs are clocking up already new discs and pads all round, passenger window.... £950 alone! Next is the 60K service.... still a friend has a 3.0V6 and i can laugh at the cost of his maintenance! hehe
AO Silver Member

Hmm I used to push my GTV 2.0 fairly hard (not as hard as you perhaps) and it never drank oil like yours. Could it have a temperature/cooling problem? Or an oil leak? Best not push it hard until you've figured out the cause.

My Brera still has a perfect oil level after 6500 miles. The JTS doesn't have a drink problem
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

You'll find it will drink more when driven hard, and the amount will vary.Sometimes mine uses a lot and then nothing for ages.Just keep an eye on the level and if driving hard like that check more often.You wont do your engine a great deal of harm from driving hard as long as you have plenty of oil

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

20l , drank , gtv20ts , oil