tyres on a budget? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Hampshire
Re: tyres on a budget?

Originally Posted by On the Raz View Post
Re the 205/50 versus 205/55, does any one know if there is a problem changing from 205/50 to 205/55 on a 96 Spider ? Jonny
The problem going from a 50 profile to a 55 profile is that you have increased the overall diameter of the wheel by 0.87" (sory I still work in old money!)

rough figures are a 50 profile gives a 24 inch diameter and a 55 gives a 24.87 inch diameter, this equates to a 3.6% increase which will make your speedo and milometer read 3.6% slow.... not a lot i know but it could already be up to 10% out already as the law states a speedo must read within 10% of true speed.

There maybe other issues as well such as tyre scubbing wheelarch liner.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
AO Member

Hi Pete,
Thanks for that ..certainly helps..It's going to be a bit of a nightmare changing them now so i think i'll take the risk.

Anyone else out there done the same ?
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GT

Originally Posted by TeamAlfa View Post
If you don't mind a short drive down the M4/ A4 then you won't beat the prices at Bracknell Tyres I get my wifes Honda CRV shod there 60 per bridgestone else where nearer 100 plus and my 166 wears Dunlop SP 9000 225/45/ 17" at 80.00 with valves, balanced and fitted and VAT! price elsewhere 140 plus..... They are in Longshot Lane Bracknell I can give you SAT Nav Co-ordinates if you need it. They can be busy weekends but week days not too bad just get there early. The other company is Micheldever Tyres in Micheldever Hants but Bracknell are slightly cheaper. Dont go budget its a false economy and you will regret it. At the same time you don't need to buy Pirellis hence I went for the Dunlop SP 9000's great grip and zero noise coupled with good hard wearing material. You can get the same tyre at a reduced price as its a 16" wheel!
Agreed about Bracknell Tyre and Battery, easily the cheapest in Reading from my experience.
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire

For 205/50 R 16W Black circles do a good deal on Falken FK-452, They are £61 each fully fitted.

I just got some put on my Coupe.
AO Member

Member car:

still after cheap tyres? I have the 16" alloys i took off my GTV recently two with ZV3's and two with ZZ3's - three of these tyres have covered less than two hundred miles! - I put them on for the MOT and then saw some new wheels I had to have Not my best budgeting ever!

The second ZZ3 has loads of life left in it too, only had to change one side as it had gone a bit 50p shaped!

I need to get rid of these wheels/tyres so if you're interested give me a shout or they're going on ebay - the three new tyres alone cost 225 from etyres - sure we can have a deal

I know smoking is cool in Italy - but come on, don't blow the R&D budget on the ashtray

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

budget , tyres