Which polish for a Cup? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Nellytheroc

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 17-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Kent
Which polish for a Cup?

Afternoon all,

I had a full respray done on my Cup back in July & it was polished up nicely. I'm now looking at giving it another polish & shine. Any recommendations? I don't want to pay out too much on the polish if I can avoid it.

Is there any advice on how often the body work should be polished?

Last thing; I've got a bit of give in the steering which can feel unsafe at times. The steering wheel will sometimes, for want of a better word, jiggle a tad. Could it tracking/balancing or steering rack?

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Kind thanks

Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
I just use Autoglym with a final finish of their HD wax, not overly expensive and keeps it looking good. I should seriously address that steering issue though, and quickly !!!!!
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 17-02-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
I just use Autoglym with a final finish of their HD wax, not overly expensive and keeps it looking good. I should seriously address that steering issue though, and quickly !!!!!
Cheers. Thanks for the tip re: polish.

Worried about the steering now 😬 Left it for a little while because of finances & afraid how much it might be but as you say, needs to be sorted before it gets any worse.

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Seriously - take your car to someone who knows their Alfas. If it feels unsafe it probably is and won't get any better.

Hopefully it'll be something not too expensive - worn suspension/balljoint.

Good Luck!
AO Member

County: Troms
Garage
by looking at this post Im guessing your new to detailing so i suggest watching a few videos on what, how and why:

what is being suggested in this thread is more like a wax.. aka make up then actually fixing the problem

so swirls and scratches will always happen no matter what unless your going to put on a paint protection film.
The washing technique is the most important part in this as this is the step that induces scratches and swirls.

now that your introduced, here are the steps on how to fully restore a car.

Step 1:

How to safely wash a car:

Step 2
Decontamination
This would be just a spray on: IronX, Tar X, Mac 124 Prickbort
Step 3: Clay

Step 4: Compounding And Polishing

any DA with 500+ watts is fine. they cost like 90 ish. more watts the better tho.

can do this on wheels as well:

I did both of these on my car except i did a ceramic coating meaning i put a 3-5 year clear coat on my car so the dirt will repel easier and wont stick as easy on the paint: http://imgur.com/a/lutAj

Last edited by WillieNillie; 17-02-17 at 18:03.
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Norfolk
I find Fairy liquid works well on my Alfa Cup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0103.jpg (61.8 KB, 12 views)
David C and Jowey like this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
you are joking ...............extremely abrasive and will ruin the rubbers with sustained use

personally after years with Auto Glym i now use Maguires Tech2 wax, Similar price extremely easy to use and no powder to dust of once your polishing, and the beading is superb
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
A6
AO Silver Member

County: Worcestershire
You couldn't have picked a more subjective topic if you tried. Ask 100 people what their favourite wax is and you'll get a 100 different options.

There is a whole host of information on Detailing World Forum, but be warned it's highly addictive !!

Polish is typically a compound used for paint correction, a wax or sealant is the protective layer to safeguard your corrected paint.

To be honest there are good and great options out there but none are really bad. So you can't really go wrong as long as you put some protection on and follow the instructions.

Me personally I'm a big ceramic coating fan as it lasts for years but it requires a lot of prep beforehand. Wolfs Bodyguard is a good product and reasonably priced.

Back in the fold !
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6 View Post
You couldn't have picked a more subjective topic if you tried. Ask 100 people what their favourite wax is and you'll get a 100 different options.

There is a whole host of information on Detailing World Forum, but be warned it's highly addictive !!

Polish is typically a compound used for paint correction, a wax or sealant is the protective layer to safeguard your corrected paint.

To be honest there are good and great options out there but none are really bad. So you can't really go wrong as long as you put some protection on and follow the instructions.

Me personally I'm a big ceramic coating fan as it lasts for years but it requires a lot of prep beforehand. Wolfs Bodyguard is a good product and reasonably priced.
I agree. Having dabbled I think detailing has all the pitfalls akin to being into Hi-fi

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
cup , polish

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page