Sticking Front Brake - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 08-02-08 Thread Starter
County: West Sussex
Sticking Front Brake

Hi - can anyone help, I have just bought a 51 reg 3.0 GTV and have noticed the brake pad light flashing ever so slightly, I got it looked at and was advised that although they are worn, there is more than enough on them.
Having just come back from a drive, I have noticed that the light was flashing more than usual, and a smell coming from the brakes which felt very hot on one side.
I have made an assumption that it must be sticking on one side but am unsure how to cure it - can anyone help? I have attached a picture also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00139.jpg (34.8 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Milano
Re: Sticking Front Brake

Moved to GTV Tech Lounge
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Get a pair of waterpump pliers on to the edge of the pad and force it back into the caliper,then pump up the brake and do the other side.There are four pistons in there so one might be stuck.You may have to do this a couple of times to get it to move freely
AO Member

Member car:

You may have a sticking caliper piston check all the outer seals also check that each piston to see if the piston has swollen on the exposed portion there by not allowing the piston to completely retract into the caliper body, this happened on my Subaru twin tubro gt and it was only 5 yrs old also Brembo calipers, woth checking.
AO Member

Member car:

I agree with GREGAV, this is an easy way of freeing a possibly seized caliper. The other more difficult way and most succesful is to remove the pistons from the calipers and very lightly 'wet and dry' the pistons.

The most common cause of the brake warning light flashing is low brake fluid levels, this would also explain why the flashing is getting worse as the pads wear down.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

Seized callipers are common on the GTV V6. The Brembo calliper is alumium but the pad-guides and mounting screws are steel so react, corrode and make the pad too tight. I have had to file the edges of the pad on all my front pads to get it to move easily. Just pumping the brakes will be a very temporary solution if it works at all.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

brake , front , sticking