Air filter box - rusty screws... Grrr - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 21-01-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

98 GTV 2.0 TS

Air filter box - rusty screws... Grrr

I knew it was going to be tricky soon as I said to the wife, “don’t worry, it’s only a 2 minute job”…

Tried changing my air filter at the weekend, the screws holding the lid on the filter box were nice and rusty but two of them seem to be playing and loosening but one is stuck fast.

Looks like someone may have tried to unscrew it in the past and the cross in the screw head is a nice rounded off mess add this to the rust and it’s going no-where!

Any tips? I’ve soaked it in WD40 and was thinking about attacking it with Mole Grips or maybe - if I can get in at it – using a saw to cut a slot in the top of the screw allowing me to use a big flat blade screwdriver…?

Once I’ve got the thing out, will I be able to replace the crappy screws with something new, better quality, maybe even bolts/washers? Someone else must have had this problem and changed the fastenings…?

Ta in advance
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Re: Air filter box - rusty screws... Grrr

I had this problem on my 145. First tip - use a proper penetrating oil, such as Plus-Gas, rather than WD40.

Somebody had had a go at mine before I bought it, & 'solved' the problem by cutting one of the lugs on the lid. You may have to do this; you can probably leave enough material for the screw to hold, but I bought a used lid from a dismantler for, if I remember correctly, around £10.

You may find that one or more of the screws has rusted into the brass insert moulded into the bottom half of the housing - when you lift the lid off, the insert comes with it. Two options here - either Araldite the insert back into the housing or buy a longer screw & use a nut on the bottom (where accessible).

I replaced my screws with some nice stainless socket capscrews ("Allen screws") from here:

Stig's Stainless Fasteners

Where are we going & why am I in this handcart?
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2000

Just had the same problem on my 2.0 Spider. I took out the whole casing and managed to get mole grips on the screw heads. Despite a heavy marinade of WD40, the bolts preferred to shear rather than unscrew.
With further rocking and soaking, I managed to get the brass threaded plugs out, still with the rusty screw remains inside. The 9mm threaded holes now have loudspeaker mounting "T" nuts fitted from underneath into which nice new M6 bolts screw in from above.
I think Maplins might do the T nuts, they are designed to fit inside a speaker cabinet and provide a threaded hole for the speaker drive unit screws.
Mine were originally from JBL studio loudspeaker which I am hoping will provide at least 10% more power due to their provenance.
AO Silver Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

2002 GTV T.Spark

Same problem here also.I got the screws out only the brass threads were pulled out of the filter body.I managed to get some alloy inserts (squash nuts) and some shiny new bolts A new filter housing is about £120+vat.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

air , box , filter , grrr , rusty , screws