T.Spark electric window failure help pls! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By pkr
  • 1 Post By pkr

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 18-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0 TS

Help T.Spark electric window failure help pls!

Hi everyone.
Another niggle on my GTV recently has reared its head on the drivers side window.

Basically when you go to put the window up, when it gets to the top you get a nasty grinding noise and feels like the window is going to pop out. Well eventually it threw itself off the runner. Window motor still works of course.

Took it upon myself to strip down the door and have a look. Nightmare job! that said i managed to get the window back on the runner only for it to throw itself off again when powering the window up.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a fix? Is it something to do with the physical motor OR an electronic component telling the window to stop at the right point?

All i can is It sounded pretty horrendous when it was working!

I have attached some pictures from the tare down.

Any advice appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4849.jpg (36.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4850.JPG (183.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4851.JPG (174.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4848.JPG (195.7 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Does sound like the motor isn't stopping at the right place. This is controlled by the N82 control module which is under the dash behind the glove box.
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Looking at the photos, it looks like a phase 2 built before June 2000. As long as the car was built after May 1997 it doesn't make any difference to the following -

The window is controlled by the N82 device and it does this by current sense. i.e. it monitors the current flowing to the motor and can detect when the motor stalls at the top and bottom and switch the motor off.

The problem you have is the motor. It's current demands do not meet the stall criteria at the ends of travel so the N82 unit never switches the motor off.

You could try disassembling the motor, checking the brushes/commutator etc and try to rebuild it. Otherwise you either need a replacement regulator ( complete ) or you could just change the motor ( 156 motors are the same ). However, looking your photos there may be damage to the gear that's driven by the motor ( can't quite make it out ) so a replacement regulator may be the way to go.
spankdanny likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 18-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Alfa GTV 2.0 TS

Thanks PKR.
Yes i posted the pic of the gear up as i wasnt totally sure myself. The teeth look flat on the end but it looked like they were machined like that. Not having seen one before i wouldnt know. Slightly closer pic attached.

I will go on your advice and get a replacement regulator i think.

One other question. When i removed the old unit to inspect, the coiled spring popped out that sits within the regulator and against the door skin. Is there an easy way to get this back in without dislocating your fingers and hands in 7 places to re position it?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_48492.jpg (159.2 KB, 6 views)
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
That just looks like stuff in there. The visible teeth look OK.

Spring : no idea. I've always replaced the regulator with a little tension on the spring to ensure it stays put
smuudge likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
electric , failure , pls , tspark , window