Gearbox stuck - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 16-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: New South Wales

Member car:

166, GTV 3.0

Gearbox stuck

2001 GTV 3 litre with 6 speed box. It is stuck in 4th gear and the problem appears to be in the gearbox itself. Checked out the housing at the base of the gearstick, all seems OK. Cannot move the bottom selector on the gearbox which is the one that moves when you move the gearstick sideways. The top selector seems to have very limited travel and wont come out of 4th gear. Seems to me the gearbox will have to be pulled down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

2000 V6

You may have done this already but I'd remove the gear selector cables from the top of the box first, to rule out everything up to the box. You should be able to operate the gear select mechanism on top of the box by hand. The cables just pull off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 17-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166, GTV 3.0

Yes I did that. The vertical selector is definitely stuck solid and the horizontal one has very limited movement but not enough to get it out of 4th. So as I expeted the gearbox has to come out, which is disappointing at 130,000 km and a very careful lady driver (:. No shortage of oil and it looks really clean so something has let go. Any catches in taking the gearbox out?
AO Member

County: -
Got a spare gearbox and also gearbox parts if you need!

Drop a pm and lets see!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Roll pin in the selector has probably sheared. If you are lucky you'll be able to get this out without taking the gearbox out of the car. The selector needs to be unbolted, you'll be able to get it up a bit but not all the way out. Lots of jiggling & pulling/pushing and if you are lucky, it'll come out. You can replace the roll pin and put it back together. Also drop the box oil out and hope whats left of the old roll pin comes out with it.

County: South Africa
1984 Alfa Romeo GTV2

Hi all, I am in dire need of advice please.
We have a 1984 Alfa Romeo GTV2 (4:3 gear ratio) that we are racing at our local track, we have for the past year been having ridiculous amounts of problems with our gearbox. Mainly because the parts we are given are worn and also thee parts being so difficult to come by where I am from.

We have been struggling with 3rd gear but after swapping the diff back to our previous diff and gearbox we encountered new problems this past Race Meeting. We seemingly lost 4th, 5th and reverse. One of our fellow mechanics suggested that it might not be the gears itself but rather the selector rods?

We have been relying on others that build their own Alfa's to assist us with our gearboxes but being dependent on others becomes a bit of a drag. We have also been told that 3rd gear has been getting a huge amount of strain from down-shifting and suggested that our Driver "heel-toe's" when down shifting - which he has been doing every Race for the last 3 years. They have also motioned to the rate of his quick-shifting and said that it should be slowed down. This did us no justice and still experienced problems with the gearbox. We are running with a button-clutch at the moment.

We have come to the decision that we want to learn to do the gearbox ourselves instead of depending on others, the only problem is that we have never worked on a gearbox - we have however rebuilt the car and redo the engine every year before race seasons starts. Could somebody please assist us with advice, manuals, tutorials and/or blueprints of the gearbox.

Thank you!
Alfaholix
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 19-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166, GTV 3.0

This is one of the most unusual gearbox problems I have seen and would be very interested to see if anyone else has seen this problem: The gearbox looks in as new condition, all synchros and bearings are like new. BUT the main output shaft appears to have moved across until the output gear on the shaft has come into contact with the housing. The only way this can have happened is for where the bearing cup is held in the housing to have collapsed or broken somehow allowing the whole shaft to move across probably about 3 or 4 mm. Obviously once the bearing had allowed the shaft to move across or 'float', allowing the gear meshing to become loose and some of the teeth on the main output gear to fracture. (See attached photos). I cannot see how or why the housing has collapsed. The bearing itself is as new as are all the bearings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gtv1.jpg (63.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Gtv2.jpg (134.0 KB, 20 views)
AO Member

Are you sure that the problem is in the housing? And not in the mainshaft itself? Maybe seized ends?

I think the manual gives the dimensions of mainshaft etc. Possible some measurements could reveal the actual cause

I cannot imagine the housing to be seized without having at least an idea of oil leak....
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166, GTV 3.0

It has taken me a while to get the time to strip the gearbox (and what a ***** to get out). But it looks like there is a circlip come off the outer end of the output shaft allowing the gear to "float" and come into contact with the housing. It must have had enough slack to allow the gear and the diff gear to have enough slack to chip 3 teeth on the 16 tooth gear although the 57 tooth diff gear seems ok. Th diff itself is ok. Just really bad luck, because otherwise the gearbox is perfect and all the bearings look like new. Just eally bad luck.
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Always, the 'little detail' do the ... difference....

So, what needs to be changed / replaced afterall?

Also, the differential is unharmed at all? Could believe that mainshaft play, could cause also diff play...

And again, no oil leak? Not at least a drop?
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

166, GTV 3.0

The bearings are all like new, but the ring, called ringsp in the parts manual appears to have been sheared off by the bearing pushing outwards, or the shaft moving inwards until the 46475365 countershaft has moved across and contacted the casing. The ring is not visible as the bearing seems to have sheared it off, leaving part of it jammed in what I expect is a groove on the end of the shaft. In the parts printout I have Parts Catalogue 20/10/2016 page R. WO. 21215/02 .03 . 00 it is item No 3 called Ringsp which I assume is a split ring and available in a range of sizes from 0.70 to 2.00 in increments of .05. It is obviously to retain the bearing but I cannot see what has caused it to break. The diff is definitely OK.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
gearbox , stuck