Strange CD player question - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 14-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Garage
Strange CD player question

I have the original Clarion radio/cd in my Spider. When I put a CD in, it always gives an CD ER3 unless the engine is off! It always plays the CD first time, unless the engine is running.
I have cleaned the cd lens etc, but am puzzled why it doesn't work when the engine is running.
If I start the cd before I start the engine it is usually fine even after the engine is running.
Weird!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Devon
Did anyone have any thoughts on what is causing this?
I installed a Clarion in my GTV at the weekend and produces the same error code if the ignition is on as Wheelnut describes and plays fine if the ignition is off when the player is started!

Any help appreciated

Gazza
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut View Post
I have the original Clarion radio/cd in my Spider. When I put a CD in, it always gives an CD ER3 unless the engine is off! It always plays the CD first time, unless the engine is running.
One difference is that with the engine running the voltage will be higher. Could be significant.

What about ignition on, engine NOT running? That'd drop the voltage a bit as the car is now powering various ecus from the battery. Does it work then?

With engine off, you're looking around 12.5v, with the engine running maybe 13.8v.

One other possibility would be interference. I'd expect the cable to be shielded, so that's unlikely, but possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaF15her View Post
... if the ignition is on as Wheelnut describes and plays fine if the ignition is off when the player is started!
Just to clarify, do you mean engine running, or ignition on, engine not running?
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
I've got an original manual for the Clarion single CD player at home. I'll scan the page with error codes and post it here.
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Thanks pkr

To clarify - with the ignition on (engine not running) it come up with an error message

Gazza
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

County: Western Cape
+12V supply dropping away. Where are you taking your +12V (turn on signal) from?
(Post Link) post #7 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Hi Ian

I am re installing a standard GTV Cup Clarion back into my Cup. Using standard plugs/wiring etc. None of the wiring has been messed with or chopped. Though it was going to plug and play but there is obviously a bit more to it.

Gazza
(Post Link) post #8 of 12 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
Error E3 is a for a scratched CD. Have you experimented with original versus burnt CD's with the ignition on and off? My experience of the Clarion PU2312 which was standard fit on some models of Ph2 916 is that it's a very average headunit. It looks nice in the 916 especially because the unit's lighting works with the car's dashboard lights. It didn't always play CD's properly though and the radio was a bit poor. it was also difficult to read the display. I've replaced it with a Nakamichi CD400 which I bought as a demo unit (I would've never been able to afford the full price) it looks very similar to the Clarion, the lightning can be made to match that of the car's interior and it's of infinitely better quality than the factory unit. I specifically went for this one because I didn't want one of these blingy, multi-coloured display chavster head units.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nakamichi.jpg (76.2 KB, 5 views)
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Sorry for the lack of replies but have been a way for a few days

I do not think it is an issue with the CD I am trying to play as it is brand new and plays OK if I start to play it with the ignition off.

So the head works OK with the ignition off but throws up the error code if I turn the ignition on before starting to play the CD - so the only things to change would be the lights on the dash, fuel pump pressuring the system and the ECU's being powder up - would that cause enough of a voltage drop?

I am putting what is a standard head unit for this car back in - all the wiring/connector blocks are standard.

Any more ideas from anybody?

Gazza
AO Member

County: East London

Member car:

Alfa GTV PH2 TS

My 916 had the Clarion unit when I bought the car. It was fine at first and then would sometimes flash up with the error code but gradually this became more frequent until finally the CD/CD changer would not work at all. I'm not sure why yours only happens with the ignition off, but it may be a sign of deterioration. Perhaps another unit might be worth sourcing?

I've replaced mine with a Pioneer unit. Not too Chavvy and dims when the lights are on with matching green glow. To be honest the increase in performance is pretty impressive.

Padraig
(Post Link) post #11 of 12 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Northamptonshire
Garage
Mine is using the standard wiring, original CDs and works fine as long as the engine is not running - ignition on or off. Sometimes it works with the engine running if you keep on inserting the CD.
I had wondered if it was some form of vibration from the engine.
On one occasion it was trying to read the CD unsuccessfully and then read it immediately when I hit a bump in the road!
At one stage, I took it apart and cleaned the lens which improved things for a short while, but it didn't last.
AO Member

thanks Wheelnut & Padraig

That does seem logical - if the head was not all that good when new and as it wears it is not going to make it any better so it sounds like something I am going to have to live with. But what I can not understand is why the position of the ignition key makes a difference to whether it reads CD's or not. I have found a way around the problem thought - fitted a CD changer

Gazza

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
player , question , strange