V6 engine temperature - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Welshsteve
  • 1 Post By anglospider

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 12-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Vale of Glamorgan
V6 engine temperature

HII all,

Well I've finally got my V6 running at a happy temperature. Put a new genuine thermostat in along with a new genuine temp sensor and the gauge now climbs to a fraction shy of 90 and stays there.

My question is how quickly should running temperature be reached? It's taking about 20mins with average driving in a built up area, don't think there is an air lock but it seems a bit slow to warm up. Is this normal or should I be investigating further?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
I would say mine is around 15 min to be similar 90c....................... its not like a modern car thats warm after 5 min

its about right i say
AO Silver Member

County: Essex
What were the temperature like before you changed the stat and sensor?

I have just picked up my V6 Spider and noticed that the temperature was not much above 50 - 55 on the motorway and only got in the 75 - 80 range when I was in town. It suggests to me a stuck open thermostat.

Is it an easy job to change? Where did you get the new stat from?

Thanks in advance

(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 18-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglospider View Post
What were the temperature like before you changed the stat and sensor?

I have just picked up my V6 Spider and noticed that the temperature was not much above 50 - 55 on the motorway and only got in the 75 - 80 range when I was in town. It suggests to me a stuck open thermostat.

Is it an easy job to change? Where did you get the new stat from?

Thanks in advance
Yeah mine was similar, changed the stat and it started to run hot, turned out that was down to a dodgy aftermarket temp sensor, swapped that out for a genuine one and it runs just shy of 90 all day long.

Got the genuine parts from Alfa workshop.
anglospider likes this.
AO Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshsteve View Post
HII all,

Well I've finally got my V6 running at a happy temperature. Put a new genuine thermostat in along with a new genuine temp sensor and the gauge now climbs to a fraction shy of 90 and stays there.

My question is how quickly should running temperature be reached? It's taking about 20mins with average driving in a built up area, don't think there is an air lock but it seems a bit slow to warm up. Is this normal or should I be investigating further?
My GT 3.2 goes from cold to 90 degrees in 5 minutes (6 miles) and the oil temp takes a further 5 minutes to go to 2 bars. I have new thermostat, radiator, oil cooler and cooler pipes so it should all be working at maximum efficiency.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshsteve View Post
Yeah mine was similar, changed the stat and it started to run hot, turned out that was down to a dodgy aftermarket temp sensor, swapped that out for a genuine one and it runs just shy of 90 all day long.

Got the genuine parts from Alfa workshop.
Exactly the same happened to me ! Dodgy Temp sensor from Ebay. I swapped back in the old one and everything was fine.
AO Silver Member

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered a thermostat.
AO Silver Member

duplicated

Last edited by anglospider; 24-12-16 at 12:26.
AO Silver Member

Thermostat fitted this morning

I had tested the new one from Shop4parts before I fitted it. My infra red thermometer showed it opening at roughly 85 - 88 c and it closed properly when cooled.

Fitting the new one was pretty straightforward although one of the cross head bolts holding the black wires box in place was a bit stubborn. Some Plusgas (which is a much better penetrating fluid than WD40) and a few taps on the screwdriver with a BFH helped free it.

I did a test drive through town and at speed on a dual carriageway. The gauge gets up to about 80 in a few miles and then sits there at all other speeds until back in town and crawling/queuing when it goes to 90 before the fans kick in. Result!

The other plus is the toasty air now coming from the heater
Welshsteve likes this.

Nick
Red Spider S4 LHD manual 1990, Silver 916 V6 Spider
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 24-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Thermostat fitted this morning

I had tested the new one from Shop4parts before I fitted it. My infra red thermometer showed it opening at roughly 85 - 88 c and it closed properly when cooled.

Fitting the new one was pretty straightforward although one of the cross head bolts holding the black wires box in place was a bit stubborn. Some Plusgas (which is a much better penetrating fluid than WD40) and a few taps on the screwdriver with a BFH helped free it.

I did a test drive through town and at speed on a dual carriageway. The gauge gets up to about 80 in a few miles and then sits there at all other speeds until back in town and crawling/queuing when it goes to 90 before the fans kick in. Result!

The other plus is the toasty air now coming from the heater
Result! well done
jayjay73

My V6 runs at this temperature most of the time, only ever increasing when in very slow moving traffic. Am going to get a new thermostat and temp sensor fitted in January as the temp looks to be on the low side and the engine is running slightly rich.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1000.jpg (49.2 KB, 17 views)

AO Silver Member

From what I've read on this forum your running temp looks about right - the thermostat should open at about 85 and you're showing ca. 80 in that pic. The gauge may not be too accurate. Mine was going right down to the 50 mark on faster roads.

E.g this from P3rksy:

Quote:
The normal operating temperature for a 3.0 V6 24V is 87 degrees. Cold air passing through the radiator will cause the temperature gauge to read lower. When stationary and idle it should settle back to 87 degrees. Extended idle will heat the engine more causing the temperature gauge to rise beyond 87 degrees to 92 degrees when the fan should kick in at 1st speed (low). Extending idle for longer will raise the temperature even further to 97 degrees when the fan should kick in at 2nd speed (fast). At this point you should either switch your engine off, or drive off to force colder air back through the radiator to cool the engine back down, unless you are looking to boil the water to 100 degrees to make a cup of tea.
jayjay73

Quote:
From what I've read on this forum your running temp looks about right - the thermostat should open at about 85 and you're showing ca. 80 in that pic. The gauge may not be too accurate. Mine was going right down to the 50 mark on faster roads.

E.g this from P3rksy:
Thanks for the info. Realise the gauge reading may be not be totally accurate but think I will get them done for peace of mind. Am hoping it will solve the issue of the engine is running a little rich. Cheers.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
engine , temperature

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page