New to me gtv lusso 3.0 v6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 09-10-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
County: -
Posts: 9
New to me gtv lusso 3.0 v6

Hi guys n gals I have just bought my sisters R get 1998 Alfa gtv 3.0 v6 as she lost interest after buying some 4wheele drive truck . I plan to get it back to mint ( it's not far off ) and use it as a summer ride . 2 problems with it b4 I can get it home , it is spitting all the coolant out , suspect thermostat ? And secondly the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor , not sure if master or slave is to blame here , any ways , some advice would be great , thanks ,, rob
Robmargetts is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Rewe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Norfolk
Posts: 1,132

Member car:

Brera

For some reason the thermostats for these tend to fail open rather than closed. Very easy to diagnose though, just feel the hoses before and after the thermostat as it warms up, you will soon see if it is not opening. Radiators don't last especially long and this is worth a check. Finally, they are quite prone to head gasket failures. Usual HG failure checks needed. I assume the fan is coming on?

Slave cylinder is easy enough to see on top of the gear box if you move the air intake. If it is leaking it ought to be obvious. Cheap enough to buy and, although I haven't done one myself, looks easy enough to change if the circlip comes off easily and it isn't seized into the bracket.

Immobile and overheating, no wonder she lost interest!
Rewe is offline  
Status: Just bought a GTV V6
AO Member
 
allandwf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Angus
Posts: 268
Was the head gasket on mine Rear one which is a pain, engine out. Hopefully not in your case.
allandwf is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 09-10-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
County: -
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewe View Post
For some reason the thermostats for these tend to fail open rather than closed. Very easy to diagnose though, just feel the hoses before and after the thermostat as it warms up, you will soon see if it is not opening. Radiators don't last especially long and this is worth a check. Finally, they are quite prone to head gasket failures. Usual HG failure checks needed. I assume the fan is coming on?

Slave cylinder is easy enough to see on top of the gear box if you move the air intake. If it is leaking it ought to be obvious. Cheap enough to buy and, although I haven't done one myself, looks easy enough to change if the circlip comes off easily and it isn't seized into the bracket.

Immobile and overheating, no wonder she lost interest!
Lol it would seem that way , she had a fair bit of work done after a replacement engine , 10 miles up the road it spiller it's coolant , after recovery , more coolant they found the temp rose really quick and boiled over , violently lol
That's why I suspected the thermostat , similar happened to an old viva I had . Checked the oil and no emulsification...
Robmargetts is offline  
Status: Life is good atm. I do not take that for granted.
Global Mod Team
 
PaulR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 21,560
Head gasket on mine too - at almost exactly 100k miles.

It was due a belt change too so some saving there but still a very expensive experience. Against that as soon as I got it back and put my foot down it was forgiven. I simply love driving it.
PaulR is offline  
Status: now a diesel head..
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 1,566
I doubt its the stat for two reasons...

1) they fail open resulting in the car running at a cooler temperature on long runs..

2) engine replacement done , which implies whatever the underlying problem was before the engine was switched still persists.


did they use the same ancillaries? because the favorite for this would be water pump..followed by cooling fan temp switch, I suspect this strongly as it would likely not have been replaced with the new engine, either that or a short or wiring issue to it...then its the rad as the next likely culprit ,either blocked or leaking.

it surprises me how often gargages will replace an engine without diagnosing the reasons as to wy the first one failed, I have seen at least 2 mulitple engine failures because of this, usuallly to do with silly things like the aforementioned or a leaking coolant system which won't pressurise and therefore results in the coolant kettling way before operating temp is reached.

as you can see though these engines are prone to HG failure at higher mileages, this is more common on the CF3 versions as the extra emissions related stuff in the mani creates more back pressure and heat and the result is a HG breach on the rear bank, even more common still on the 3.2 V6 ...I haveyet to meet a GT with a 3.2 in it that hasn;t required a top end rebuild ,some as early as 50k ,although its more common and 100k+ mileage.

I hope its not HG for you but it is a possibility.

good luck..!!!

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
joeymannero is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 09-10-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
County: -
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
Head gasket on mine too - at almost exactly 100k miles.

It was due a belt change too so some saving there but still a very expensive experience. Against that as soon as I got it back and put my foot down it was forgiven. I simply love driving it.
There is that , I have driven it a few times and the sound and power was great , might have to dig deep and expect the worse ..
Robmargetts is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 10-10-16 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
County: -
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
I doubt its the stat for two reasons...

1) they fail open resulting in the car running at a cooler temperature on long runs..

2) engine replacement done , which implies whatever the underlying problem was before the engine was switched still persists.


did they use the same ancillaries? because the favorite for this would be water pump..followed by cooling fan temp switch, I suspect this strongly as it would likely not have been replaced with the new engine, either that or a short or wiring issue to it...then its the rad as the next likely culprit ,either blocked or leaking.

it surprises me how often gargages will replace an engine without diagnosing the reasons as to wy the first one failed, I have seen at least 2 mulitple engine failures because of this, usuallly to do with silly things like the aforementioned or a leaking coolant system which won't pressurise and therefore results in the coolant kettling way before operating temp is reached.

as you can see though these engines are prone to HG failure at higher mileages, this is more common on the CF3 versions as the extra emissions related stuff in the mani creates more back pressure and heat and the result is a HG breach on the rear bank, even more common still on the 3.2 V6 ...I haveyet to meet a GT with a 3.2 in it that hasn;t required a top end rebuild ,some as early as 50k ,although its more common and 100k+ mileage.

I hope its not HG for you but it is a possibility.

good luck..!!!
Hi thanks to the response , the engine was changed due to the cam belt going prior to that she ran great with no problems . The same time the coolant came out the neg battery terminal came off ( slack work at the Alfa garage ) resulting in the car going dead and then the steam . Didn't know if the two were connected . Is there a way of checking for the head gasket ? Thanks
Robmargetts is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
gtv , lusso

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome