Spider Alarm Sound Switch... Where is it? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 05-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Spider Alarm Sound Switch... Where is it?

Hi Folks,
My '99 Phase 2 Spider has what I think is the factory fitted alarm. When I bought the car 3 years ago the guy said that the alarm horn was switched off at the moment. He forgot to let me know where the switch was to turn it back on and I've forgotten all about it ever since.
So at the moment the alarm does arm itself with the fob and the hazard lights flash 4 times, but there's no sound and of course when the alarm goes off the lights flash but without any sound.
Does anyone know where this switch might be to activate the alarm horn? I can see where the actual module is from looking around..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

gpr
AO Member

Don't know if models are different, but with mine-which now does what you describe above- I just unplugged the alarm siren which is mounted underneath the drivers front wing plastic cover under the bonnet, and the siren itself sits under the fuse bank.
There is a little pop out door in the plastic that you could take off to and maybe see if it's been disconnected, but TBO-just whip of the whole plastic cover-it's only about 4 screws and have a good look at what's been done.
Im chasing a battery draining issue- which causes the alarm to off when it's drained and I try and lock/unlock it-that's why I disconnected it.-If yours has been unplugged-there's probably a reason, so go to somewhere deserted before re connecting!
AO Member

County: Norfolk
I fitted a new siren to my GTV when I fitted a new alarm ECU recently. I don't remember seeing any kind of switch on the old one but there must be something. The siren has a lithium battery to power it so it will still sound if the battery is disconnected. I know these can deteriorate with age. As already mentioned, there is a small cover for easy access to the alarm to silence the siren. I am sure that I read on here that you can alter the level of security on a Spider alarm using the key fob for example disabling the interior sensors so you can park in strong winds or with the hood down without the alarm going off. I tried to find the thread but couldn't.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 06-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
I fitted a new siren to my GTV when I fitted a new alarm ECU recently. I don't remember seeing any kind of switch on the old one but there must be something. The siren has a lithium battery to power it so it will still sound if the battery is disconnected. I know these can deteriorate with age. As already mentioned, there is a small cover for easy access to the alarm to silence the siren. I am sure that I read on here that you can alter the level of security on a Spider alarm using the key fob for example disabling the interior sensors so you can park in strong winds or with the hood down without the alarm going off. I tried to find the thread but couldn't.
Ah I see, ok I'll whip the wing cover off and have a closer look, I wondered what that little plastic flap did! I'm just a bit nervous messing with the alarm as mine is parked around the corner so I'll be expecting a few angry looks from the neighbors in the mornings : ) ..I did see the post about the wind setting an alarm off, I don't think mine is that sensitive tho.
This is just the first of a few little jobs I want to get done over the winter (last week did all the dash bulbs via a guide from here..worked a treat)!
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

GTV V6

Yeah, my car came with a small cylinder key to isolate the siren.
Sorry pic upside down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1191.jpg (65.4 KB, 13 views)
AO Member

Member car:

147/Spider V6

Pressing and holding down the button on the fob until the indicators flash a third time arms the Spider alarm without the interior sensors. As said I do this all the time for roof down parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Member

County: Norfolk
A
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamby View Post
Yeah, my car came with a small cylinder key to isolate the siren.
Sorry pic upside down
I've had my GTV from new and never got anything like that with it. It is a 2001 and I know they changed the alarm around that time so that could be why or it might be because you are more likely to want to turn off the siren on a Spider due to wind setting the alarm off. I don't know. Also strange that the hazards flash 4 times on arming. I'm sure mine only flashed twice with the original ECU before I upgraded. I am sure I read somewhere that the number of times they flash when you disarm indicated something but again not sure.
AO Member

County: Essex
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
A

I am sure I read somewhere that the number of times they flash when you disarm indicated something but again not sure.
Taken from M99T2 Operator Instructions

ALARM MEMORY FUNCTION :On placing the system in the disarm condition. The alarm memory feature is automatically activated. If the system has been triggered during the previous armed condition, the LED will indicate the trigger input responsible, for a period of 35 seconds as follows :
1 flash every 6 seconds interior movement sensors 2 flashes every 6 seconds door input
4 flashes every 6 seconds bonnet/boot input
8 flashes every 6 seconds ignition input
After 35 second period, the LED will extinguish, however the alarm memory function will repeat every time the system is disarmed. To erase the alarm memory function, the hand held transmitter must be pressed whilst the vehicle ignition is ON.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
alarm