Battery draining woes! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By spankdanny
  • 1 Post By PaulR

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
gpr
AO Member

Battery draining woes!

Is there a 'favourite' culprit for my battery draining in about 10 days or so?
I really can't seem to nail it down,-I can't believe the clock is doing it!!
I have got the car hooked up to a optimimate battery charger/ conditioner and it does not cycle much, just seems to be giving a constant top up charge.
When the battery is on the bench, the optimate cycles between charging ant resting much more often, it just seems to be in the charging mode more when n the car-so showing there is a drain.
Is there a issue with leave the optimiser on 24/7 when there is a drain?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
My drain was caused by the alarm module. I put it in the bin.
gpr likes this.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
How old is your battery? In all the years I've had my GTV, it has got through a fair few batteries and all of them have been fine one day and shagged the next. Literally over night they just stop holding a charge, only remedy is a new battery. Does yours hold the charge if it is disconnected?
(Post Link) post #4 of 12 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
gpr
AO Member

Battery is fine and new-expensive lifetime guarantee one.
As mentioned in op-it's fine on the bench-holds it's charge for weeks, and optimate conditioner does it's normal charge/refresh cycle-but it's continually in the charge/topping up cycle when fitted to the car.
How do I disconnect the alarm module-I don't need a alarm anyway.
I actually started to think it was the alarm last week, and unplugged the alarm horn on Sunday-Oh how the neighbours laughed waiting for the alarm horn built in battery to finally die!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr View Post
Battery is fine and new-expensive lifetime guarantee one.
As mentioned in op-it's fine on the bench-holds it's charge for weeks, and optimate conditioner does it's normal charge/refresh cycle-but it's continually in the charge/topping up cycle when fitted to the car.
How do I disconnect the alarm module-I don't need a alarm anyway.
I actually started to think it was the alarm last week, and unplugged the alarm horn on Sunday-Oh how the neighbours laughed waiting for the alarm horn built in battery to finally die!
The alarm ECU is behind the passenger side carpet below the stereo. If it is faulty Abacus alarms are really good for replacements and upgrades. I've now got a 2 button key fob and can open the boot with it.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
It took me ages to find the drain on mine - it was the puddle lights in the doors which did not turn off when the door was closed.
gpr likes this.
AO Member

County: -
Alarm siren?

This doesn't make any sense to me, but I lived with battery drain for a long time before my ace alfa fixer disconnected the alarm siren. I don't know why this would be, but it fixed my problem completely.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrofig View Post
This doesn't make any sense to me, but I lived with battery drain for a long time before my ace alfa fixer disconnected the alarm siren. I don't know why this would be, but it fixed my problem completely.
I am guessing here but the siren has a lithium battery so it can keep sounding even if the main battery is disconnected. Like any battery these can deteriorate with age. I'm assuming that it recharges from the main battery so if it is knackered, it will be constantly drawing power even when the car isn't running trying to recharge itself and this could drain the battery over time. When I upgraded my alarm I fitted a new siren without a battery because it was cheaper and since most people ignore car alarms these days if nobody has reacted to the alarm in the time it takes anyone breaking in to disconnect either the siren or the battery then nobody will.
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 06-10-16 Thread Starter
gpr
AO Member

The puddle lights are a good shout-will check-hard to do as they look on as soon as the door starts to be opened.-Im guessing pulling the bulbs is the only real way. Siren was taken off a few weeks ago, but no different-still draining-.
Could the alarm system without a siren connected still be draining the battery?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr View Post
The puddle lights are a good shout-will check-hard to do as they look on as soon as the door starts to be opened.-Im guessing pulling the bulbs is the only real way. Siren was taken off a few weeks ago, but no different-still draining-.
Could the alarm system without a siren connected still be draining the battery?
Disconnecting the alarm ECU is a 2 min job, just means you have to use a key to lock and unlock the doors... Central locking still works tho.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera

It was the boot light left on the one and only time it happened to mine
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 10-10-16 Thread Starter
gpr
AO Member

Thanks everybody for their input-All sorted now. I disconnected the alarm module and also the puddle lights and all is good, battery holding it's full charge.
It's either one or the other, I don't really care as im happy to live without both, but I will stick the puddle lights back on to confirm which over the weekend

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
battery , draining , woes