Bosch 5.3 abs ecu 0273004337 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By spankdanny
  • 1 Post By antonius
  • 1 Post By antonius
  • 1 Post By antonius

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Worcestershire

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Bosch 5.3 abs ecu 0273004337

The Bosch 5.3 abs ecu 0273004337 on my car is beyond repair, so looking at a replacement. Does anyone have one they would like to sell?

I'm looking for one that is fully working, and by that I mean that not only it has come of a car with abs working and no warning abs light showing, but that connection to it is possible with Multiecuscan 3.2. I'll also consider one that is not working.

Were there any other make of vehicles that are fitted with this Bosch 5.3 abs ecu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Western Cape
List of cars with 5.3 here:

https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&so...FWZwL8V_4Ayf8w

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

2005 GT 3.2 V6

Are you sure it is buggered or multiecuscan just can't connect to it?

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by El 4 Romeo View Post

That list isn't accurate. Early T.S used the Bosch 2si ABS. Phase 2 T.S also use 2 variations of 5.3 depending on the type of sensors used.
El 4 Romeo likes this.
AO Silver Member

145 and 146, though? And when I cycled through the fiat cars on Multiecuscan, there were some that also used 5.3. One could always verify on Eper whether the part numbers correspond with the desired ABS type.

pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
When you say it's beyond repair, is that from a professional repair outfit like ECU, ABS, Throttle Body Testing & Repair | ACtronics LTD ?
(Post Link) post #7 of 22 Old 04-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by El 4 Romeo View Post

Thanks for this list.
(Post Link) post #8 of 22 Old 04-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
Are you sure it is buggered or multiecuscan just can't connect to it?
That's a good question. I've swapped one over from a low mileage spider, and cannot connect to this one either (untested on the spider as I don't have a 3pin adaptor). I'm using multiecuscan 3.2 registered.
(Post Link) post #9 of 22 Old 04-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkr View Post
When you say it's beyond repair, is that from a professional repair outfit like ECU, ABS, Throttle Body Testing & Repair | ACtronics LTD ?
The attempt at repairing it has been carried by someone that goes by leon-repairs. When he tested the repair it connected once but jumped twice - I've not been charged for the work.
(Post Link) post #10 of 22 Old 04-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
That list isn't accurate. Early T.S used the Bosch 2si ABS. Phase 2 T.S also use 2 variations of 5.3 depending on the type of sensors used.
Thanks for pointing that out, but I'm not going to source another until I'm certain ecu is beyond repair.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Hello Antonius! Got exactly what you need. Pm me if still interested!
AO Member

Member car:

2005 GT 3.2 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonius View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, but I'm not going to source another until I'm certain ecu is beyond repair.
If you use the ELM cable connection, open it up and solder pin 7 to pin 1 or solder a piece of wire from pin 7 to pin 1, thats how I connect to my ABS module.
(Post Link) post #13 of 22 Old 07-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
If you use the ELM cable connection, open it up and solder pin 7 to pin 1 or solder a piece of wire from pin 7 to pin 1, thats how I connect to my ABS module.
I have a switchable KKL and also a standard KKL with green extention, either one of these should work in theory.
Looking at multiecuscan website, ELM in not listed for Bosch 5.3 ABS on GTV '98 3.0 V6 24V, what vehicle do you have?
(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 07-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desame View Post
Hello Antonius! Got exactly what you need. Pm me if still interested!
If I need to source one, I'll email you, thanks.
Desame likes this.
(Post Link) post #15 of 22 Old 07-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

I've made some progress, managed to test my abs ecu on a ph1 Spider TS, and was able to connect to it, and activate the hydraulic circuit drain. So, my 'unrepairable' abs ecu from my ph2 V6 is working on a ph1 Spider TS.

Now, why can't I connect to it on the ph2 V6?

On the ph1 spider I'm using a 3-pin adapter on a switchable kkl set to 7, and providing a live feed straight from the car battery to the red/black crocodile clips on the 3-pin plug, to power abs ecu. Battery is a few months old, giving a measured direct reading of 12.45v
On the ph2 V6, I'm using the same switchable kkl set to 1/9, power to abs ecu is supplied by the car's electrical system. Battery is at least 4 years old, although when I tried got a reading of 12.35v on the battery.

I'm thinking, the obd socket on the V6 could be faulty, although I can connect to all the other ecu. Maybe not enough power is getting to the abs ecu for a stable connection. On a few occassions I've managed to connect to the abs ecu screen for a few second before it collapsing.

I might try and put a charger on the battery, and try to get voltage up to 12.6V, then try.

Any suggestions?
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Have you checked both ABS fuses? The heavy duty ( 50 Amp ) one at the back of the car as well as the 10 Amp one near the main fusebox?

If you have a multimeter you could test all the relevant wires at the ABS connector. At least check both power supplies for +12v, earth continuity ( both pins ) and continuity from the ABS connector to the 3 pin test connector Also test the earth at the 3 way diag connector ( but that may not be necessary as you're connecting your 3 way adaptor to +12v and earth anyway ). Optionally test continuity to the brake light switch ( brake lights side ) and the instrument panel lights ( if necessary ). I wouldn't worry about testing the wheel sensors as they'd show up as errors if/when you get MES connected.

Unfortunately the ABS connector pinouts aren't in the GTV/Spider workshop manual but they're available elsewhere e.g. ABS controller pinout needed - The MGF Register Forums Use that for the pin numbers and the 916 manual for the pinout designations.

EDIT : Got confused there for a moment. Where I refer to the 3 way port you'd need to test to the relevant pin(s) of the OBD socket.
(Post Link) post #17 of 22 Old 07-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkr View Post
Have you checked both ABS fuses? The heavy duty ( 50 Amp ) one at the back of the car as well as the 10 Amp one near the main fusebox?
I haven't checked these fuses. When I turn the ignition on, dashboard abs light comes on for a few seconds, also when I try to scan or connect to the abs ecu the abs dashboard light comes on again. If any of these two fuses are broken, would the dashboard abs light still come on?
(Post Link) post #18 of 22 Old 20-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

At last, with help from Yanislav (support multiecuscan), I've managed to connect to abs module, although it was not straight forward at all.

I decided to get in touch with support at Multiecuscan for help. Yanislav responds requesting that I send him a report of the session where communication with abs module is failing - I'm using a KKL switchable cable set at 1/9. From the report sent it appears to him that another module (either the engine from pin 7 or the AC from pin 9) is trying to send data at the same time as the ABS module. He suggests that I open KKL interface and cut the wire to pin 9 and try again. I do, there's still no connection, and send him the session's report. From the report sent, the results are much better, but there is still something that corrupts the data on the k-line. Next suggestion was to cut wire going to pin 7. I do and try, but this made things worse, there was no communication at all. Next Yanislav suggested I try with my unmodified KKL and 3-pin adapter, connecting the 3-pin k-line to slot 1 on the obd2 port and the +/- feeds anywhere available on the car (I used slots 16(+) and 4(-) on obd2 port). Success! This time connected straight away.

I asked Yanislav if this was a software issue, his response was: It is an electrical issue not related to Multiecuscan... The adapter cables which we use have short circuit between multiple pins so that you will be able to connect to multiple systems with them. Normally, this is not a problem as the modules should not send data on the k-line unless requested by the diagnostic equipment. Unfortunately, there are some old ECUs (like the engine module in your GTV) which do not follow the standards correctly and send data on the k-line when it is not requested which makes it impossible to communicate with other modules when they are connected together.
addo likes this.
AO Member

Good wrap, love a long detective story.

Is the ABS/ESP all hunky-dory now?
AO Gold Member

Finally an explanation. This strangely also doesn't happen on the facelift 3.2 GTV where you just plug in and connect.

Strange that an ECU is trying to connect with another module on K-Line unrequested (who answers their phone when they haven't been called? ) unless it's an always-active K-Line connection.

The 3-pin connection seems sure-fire though. It has even been noted on the MES website as a connection method so I wonder why people choose to ignore this type of connection?
(Post Link) post #21 of 22 Old 21-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by addo View Post
Is the ABS/ESP all hunky-dory now?
Turns out the abs module was always fine, just unable to communicate directly with a KKL interface on the obd2 port.
(Post Link) post #22 of 22 Old 21-11-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lusso View Post
Finally an explanation. This strangely also doesn't happen on the facelift 3.2 GTV where you just plug in and connect.

Strange that an ECU is trying to connect with another module on K-Line unrequested (who answers their phone when they haven't been called? ) unless it's an always-active K-Line connection.

The 3-pin connection seems sure-fire though. It has even been noted on the MES website as a connection method so I wonder why people choose to ignore this type of connection?
My V6 is an early version 916C1 production date 04/1999 - looks like this has been sorted on later models.

Had I known about the alternative method of connecting with a 3-pin adapter on the OBD2 port, I would have done so and saved myself a lot of time and hassle.
Ian Lusso likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
abs , bosch , ecu

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page