Expert Starting Help Needed Please !! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 02-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Expert Starting Help Needed Please !!

My friend gave me his P2 GTV 2.0 T-Spark, 25k miles, hadn't been started for years.

Oil & filter change, new fuel pump, checked for a spark, it wouldn't fire properly. 3 times on cranking for ages it fired and ran upto 1500 revs and then died.

This made me suspect a fuel pressure problem. I removed the injectors, sat them in jam jars and got a helper to crank the engine. I was expecting a dribble of petrom but I got a good 2 jets per injector spraying what looked like properly. It can't be a fuel problem........

I only checked one plug and it sparked. If the car had points and a distributor that's where I'd look now. I'd suspect the timing was off. People say crank sensors play up when hot, not cold. The dash warning lights look fine, no EML or anything.

I wondered if the fuel pump was failing to run when the engine fired, but I can't see any evidence of that. The petrol is fresh. Do spark plugs go stale?

Any advice would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Surrey
How old is the fuel in the tank? It might have gone off.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 02-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Fresh fuel

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GTV 2.0 Lusso

I agree. Drain the fuel from the tank completely. Fuel has a standing shelf life octane rating for six month maximum. If it's been sitting in the tank, the high quality vapours would have dissipated through the breather system so in effect you are trying to start a car on half its original octane rating.
Just remember though, Alfa's are fickle when starting from an empty or drained tank. A 5 litre can just won't do it, you need at least 10 litres! Yet the car can run with as little as 2 litres in the tank.... That's Alfa for you!
PS. Don't try to mix fresh fuel with old fuel as a short cut, you'll be peeing in the wind and no further forward!
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 Lusso

Clean the sparks, they should be ok unless cracks in the porcelain are present
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 Lusso

Almost forgot, most of the time a car won't start after a while of standing is actually down to the EVAP canister. This presents a vapour boost through the carbon particles on start up as well as the fuel line to the injectors via the fuel rail and also works on zero throttle engine braking, but if it's dissipated, it then needs recharging with vapours. Now the bad point, it needs starting up initially in order to build up those vapours so a rock and a hard place situation.
You could try and cheat a little with spraying easy start into the throttle body through the pre tb breather hose while a helper cranks the engine and pumps the throttle!
It's just to try and get that initial fire up until the fuel line regulates and vapours recharge.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Ideally need to take all 4 major Spark plugs out to check your getting a good spark on each. If not, I would change the crank sensor first.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 03-10-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Sparkdanny that sounds sensible.

Grahameo, thanks for the goodwill, but as I said at the outset, fresh fuel. How do you think they started them at the factory given your theory? If the injector sprays into the combustion chamber, the spark plug given a good spark and the timing is good, that is all that's needed isn't it, providing the fuel pressure is maintained?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
expert , needed , starting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page