Spider Parts Advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 28-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Spider Parts Advice

So getting round now to getting the parts together to then get my spider repaired and MOT'd, is a 2001 Twinny.

After some advice and pointers of best place to get these parts with balance between price and quality being key for me. Have looked around ebay and couple of web part shops and a bit bewildered by the choice. Will then get the car to my mechanic guy to get sorted.

Things I need are

Full set of Brake Discs - guessing should also get the pads as well
Handbrake Cables
centre Exhaust (has a hole in it)

Things I not sure about that it failed on

Service brake: efficiency below requirements (is this just cause the handbrake cable snapped?)
rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (3.7.B.5b) not actually sure what this means or what would be required partswise. At the time mechanic said this was the main bugger of a job as a load of bolts need to be taken off and may be rusted?

Any pointers or help much appreciated, typically going to have missed the summer for roof down fun but want to get her up and running and back to being my main daily car again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Norfolk
I recently put MTEC discs on my GTV front and rear. Came to 200 including pads and postage etc. I've been well impressed with the quality. There is a thread on here that I started with some photos etc and the how to guides on brakes on here were a godsend when doing it. Get a brake rewind tool (about a tenner on fleabay) for the rears, makes it so much easier. There's a code mentioned in the thread for a discount too. If you want a cheaper option ECP are quite good and keep having sales with 20-30% off or there is a code ALFAOWN I think that also gives a discount.
daveymck likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Service brake is the foot brake. Pretty easy for any competent mechanic to service the braking system. Only difficulty can be rusted/ siezed pipes and union's.
(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 28-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
I recently put MTEC discs on my GTV front and rear. Came to 200 including pads and postage etc. I've been well impressed with the quality. There is a thread on here that I started with some photos etc and the how to guides on brakes on here were a godsend when doing it. Get a brake rewind tool (about a tenner on fleabay) for the rears, makes it so much easier. There's a code mentioned in the thread for a discount too. If you want a cheaper option ECP are quite good and keep having sales with 20-30% off or there is a code ALFAOWN I think that also gives a discount.
173 for full set, ECP were more or less the same price with the current sale but think will get the brake cables from them 25 for the pair.

So am left with

centre Exhaust Alfa Romeo Spider Exhausts does this one look ok 114 the ones on ebay are more
&
rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (3.7.B.5b) not sure what would be needed for this or would it be sorted by the brakes all being fixed? Sorry am not a mechanic.

Last edited by daveymck; 28-09-16 at 18:11.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Forgot to say I got grooved and dimpled discs with black coating... Look awesome and hopefully rust proof.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymck View Post
173 for full set, ECP were more or less the same price with the current sale but think will get the brake cables from them 25 for the pair.

So am left with

centre Exhaust Alfa Romeo Spider Exhausts does this one look ok 114 the ones on ebay are more
&
rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2 (3.7.B.5b) not sure what would be needed for this or would it be sorted by the brakes all being fixed? Sorry am not a mechanic.
I have the Pagid discs and pads on my Spider. I have also replaced the handbrake cables with the Pagid ones and I can recommend them.

The exhaust is made by MTS and I think they are oem suppliers so you shouldn't have an issue with that.

Do you know if the rear calipers are seized which is causing the imbalance? You could get reconditioned calipers. I bought replacement units from ECP. These were Pagid remanufactured units.

I might be a good idea to replace the brake fluid too, especially if it is dark in colour. Have a look at the colour of the brake fluid in the reservoir.
AO Member

County: -
Alfa workshop, just do a search on Google. Jamie is a very good guy and will do a lot to help with parts and availability. There's been a fair few times where he has price matched like fore like too!
As with things on eBay, yeah sure there are plenty of bargains to be had but make sure that you set your search to uk only based sellers and be mindful of their ratings of 100% or as near as possible, then you are pretty much sorted for the balance between price, quality and quick, minimal postage

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
advice , parts , spider