Floor pan rust - catch it early if you can! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
County: Staffordshire

Member car:

GTV6 3.2

Floor pan rust - catch it early if you can!

I have a 3.2 GTV that has just had its 12th Birthday and has covered just under 50k miles. Last year I had it re-sprayed as the original red had gone the usual several shades of purple and in the course of that work the sill covers came off to reveal extensive corrosion to the inner sill on the driver's side....the usual cause, namely, tyre fitters and others jacking up on the sill edge thus mashing it and the D-holes that should allow water vapour to escape.....In all respects the underside of the car had looked absolutely fine up until the strip down. Anyway, I decided this summer to have the under seal removed completely and any rust duly treated. So out came the wheel arch liners, the front suspension was dismantled, the front sub frame was exposed and the thing given a thorough overhaul by Howard and the team at Allitalia in Wrexham (extensive photo archive also supplied which is very helpful) .
Findings - two holes in the rear footwells (one the size of a 50p piece with the other about the size of a business card), areas of surface corrosion to the front suspension turrets and elsewhere. Also a few areas of corrosion to the front sub-frame that have been caught in time but will need further work in due course. These were covered by the protective plates that bolt onto the sub-frame so again on a visual inspection everything looked fine.
The moral of the story - don't be lulled into a false sense of security if the under side of your car looks pristine!
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member
County: Bristol
Spent a week under & inside mine when I first got it. Holes under arch covers and the floor drain holes. From the few 916's I've had it seems Pininfarina built cars fare worse than early ones apart from my Ph1. But I put that down to its mega mileage and being a spider.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member
County: UK
So far so good with my 2001 V6. Front end completely stripped while doing an engine out job. One rust hole by the offside front arch brake pipe bracket at the double skinned area to repair. Still to remove the near side rear arch liner and sill cover but so far so good. Even with the jack damage on both sills the steel was sound and rust free and was repaired with a little heat and hammer work.
Subframe and suspension components are in better condition than my 5 year old Volvo, So were blasted and painted rear suspension rebuild next - though its had spring pans recently. Not he best photos as I had put the wheel back on the back but you can get the idea the arches were sound. Shame the body paintwork is a little poor in places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0517.jpg (77.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0542.jpg (83.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0545.jpg (75.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0544.jpg (63.2 KB, 31 views)
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member
County: Suffolk
I am in deep with fight against floor pan rust on my GTV restoration. Totally agree with the OP's wise words. It's worth taking a peek behind the wheel arch liners and sill trims to see what lurks beneath. I have just pulled the carpet out, and found some slight surface rust starting in the chambers that support the seats. A bit of wire brushing, Kurust, and Zinc primer, has sorted it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160920_105525 (640x477).jpg (226.3 KB, 25 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

catch , early , floor , pan , rust