Rear Powerflex Bush & Terrible Suspension - How to Go Back to Original - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 22-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Istanbul

Member car:

99 GTV 2.0 TS

Question Rear Powerflex Bush & Terrible Suspension - How to Go Back to Original

Hello All,

Recently i installed Rear Powerflex bushes on my 2.0 TS GTV Phase 2, and the rear suspension has become quite problematic when the car would go into potholes and i want to revert back to original as i also don't see any noticable improvement on the handling.

My Powerflex Item Code: (PFR1-717-18 POWERFLEX Alfa GTV & Spider (916) 2.0 16v Rear ARB Bush 18mm)
Item Image: http://images.esellerpro.com/2489/I/...FR1-717-18.jpg

Can you help me on locating original factory setting rear bush for my GTV?

When i check Alfaholics website, i see this part. Is it what i'm looking for?
Rear Track Control Arm

Best regards for the helps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cgc
AO Silver Member

County: Monmouthshire
Try eb spares, alfa shop, autolusso, alfa workshop, all very helpful just tell them what car you have and what you want to change and I'm sure any of them will be happy to help. Alfaholics are good for 'special' items but can be expensive.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire
Pm if your selling your powerflex bushes, my rear suspension is knack after 90k miles, I have powerflexed my doglegs but plan to do the rest over the winter along with some new rear shocks.

AO Member

County: Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post
Hello All,

Recently i installed Rear Powerflex bushes on my 2.0 TS GTV Phase 2, and the rear suspension has become quite problematic when the car would go into potholes and i want to revert back to original as i also don't see any noticable improvement on the handling.

My Powerflex Item Code: (PFR1-717-18 POWERFLEX Alfa GTV & Spider (916) 2.0 16v Rear ARB Bush 18mm)

Rear Track Control Arm

I had mine done by Autolusso a few years ago and been well impressed with the difference it made. I have heard nothing but good reports on powerflex bushes. Are you sure it isn't something else?
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Hello All,

Rear Track Control Arm

No you're looking at the wrong part the bushes you show are for the rear anti roll bar not the Rear Track Control Arm. You may still be able to get the original rubber anti roll bar bushes from a main dealer but guessing from the 18mm size Powerflex you went for it is an early car so maybe you won't!

I'd personally be surprised if these caused your issue, did you fit them or was it someone else? As per everyone else's comments it could be lots of other components on the rear suspension, probably worth a good poke round and see if the anti roll bar has been connected back on properly or whether one of the other arms/bushes is excessively worn.

I've recently taken my phase 1 rear apart and everything apart from the anti roll bar bushes was shot including a worn (but salvageable) subframe, I'm going for a mix of Powerflex and Alfa Workshop bushes plus those Alfaholics arms.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Did you replace all the bushes with powerflex? Did you use the washers that came with the bushes? Some people have left the washers off because they are a very tight fit but without them the powerflex bushes will be compromised. They do make they ride slightly firmer but are not as bad as you are describing. Are rose bushes still available. I agree with the other comments, you need to check the whole suspension, old springs and shocks won't help either if you haven't replaced them. If going the powerflex route, it's best to replace all the bushes at the same time.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Hello All,

Rear Track Control Arm

We have done hundreds of rear Powerflex jobs on GTV's and what you are experiencing is not normal as it should be a huge improvement, did you do it yourself? Has it had 4 wheel alignment??

Did you change all the bushes?? Did you fit the washers on the spring pan arms???

Ned
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
Ned what are the real benefits of 'Flexing the rear end other than being longer lasting than than OE bushes? I take it that the ride would be a bit firmer than if it's fitted with the powerflex bushes.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
I've had a GTV and a Spider and had powerflex bushes fitted to both.

TBH I coud not tell any difference in handling or ride but, as stated, they last so much longer - a case of fit and forget.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
back , bush , original , powerflex , rear , suspension , terrible

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page