Exhaust manifold heat shield - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 21-09-16 Thread Starter

County: Greater London

Member car:

Exhaust manifold heat shield

Hi guys.

I've recently noticed that I get a rattling noise when in low revs. After opening the bonnet, I saw that the heat shield for the exhaust manifold leading from the top of the engine down to the bottom was cracked and loose. One of the screws was completely snapped off which made the whole thing move and rattle.

I suspect this is the cause of the noise when driving.

I've checked online and am baffled as to which one is the right one as there are many out there but pretty vague information.

I've found one on Alfa Shop for 65. I've attached a picture. Can anyone out there tell me if this is the right one?

Oh...not only is one of the screws/bolts snapped off but the other looks like it won't budge. Any ideas on how to remove them?

Thanks
MarioScreenshot_20160921-203753.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
That's for a cf3 twin cat. The others vary but just cover the top
AO Member

County: Norfolk
I'm after one for my phase 2/CF3 and they are like rocking horse sh*t secondhand but like you said Alfashop can supply them new. There's normally a few for CF1 & 2s on fleabay. Alfaworkshop have a guide on their website on which engine you have. Autolusso are also very good for secondhand spares and might be worth calling.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
I'm after one for my phase 2/CF3 and they are like rocking horse sh*t secondhand but like you said Alfashop can supply them new. There's normally a few for CF1 & 2s on fleabay. Alfaworkshop have a guide on their website on which engine you have. Autolusso are also very good for secondhand spares and might be worth calling.
Yep, the one off my cf3 cat looked fine at the top but was ripped at the bottom and covered in oil = scrap metal
I think certain version of the fiat stillo used the same one from memory so worth looking at that route too..:
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 22-09-16 Thread Starter

County: Greater London

Member car:

So I've determined that I need a CF3 version which is the one I managed to find.

Now I need to figure out how to get the old one off.

Thanks for all your help guys.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_S View Post
So I've determined that I need a CF3 version which is the one I managed to find.

Now I need to figure out how to get the old one off.

Thanks for all your help guys.
I was going to ask the same question... tried taking mine out to survey the damage last time I was working on the car and couldn't get it out. I'm hoping its not one of those really easy Alfa jobs that involves removing the radiator, engine and gearbox just to undo one small screw
AO Member

Iu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
I was going to ask the same question... tried taking mine out to survey the damage last time I was working on the car and couldn't get it out. I'm hoping its not one of those really easy Alfa jobs that involves removing the radiator, engine and gearbox just to undo one small screw
I'm pretty sure it's easier with radiator fan removed and then it's two screws at the cats and 2 at the top but wiggling it out with fan in place will probably cause damage from memory unless of course it's damaged already and then it's easy to remove but not enough room to put a nice new one in...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkyd10 View Post
I'm pretty sure it's easier with radiator fan removed and then it's two screws at the cats and 2 at the top but wiggling it out with fan in place will probably cause damage from memory unless of course it's damaged already and then it's easy to remove but not enough room to put a nice new one in...
Thanks... I'll give that a go.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
exhaust , heat , manifold , shield

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page