Squeaky Suspension - OK to drive? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 20-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Squeaky Suspension - OK to drive?

Hi all

Am in the middle of a roadtrip and tomorrow is the last leg of the journey, 600km before tg
He car is getting put into storage

At the start of the trip going over severe speed bumps would cause a sound from the front left (LHD car) but over the course of the trip it has developed into a squeak and progressively got worse.

At this point it squeaks if you push down directly above the damper, and I can feel every little bump I drive over in my feet. Just wanted to know what could potentially be the problem and whether its ok to keep driving? Its motorway all the way from here pretty much.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
if its like a squeak of a pram then its common to be a worn bush on the rear suspension................. needs doing obviously but i dont think anything will depart from the car
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Garage
It sounds like worn out front shock absorber or the top mount bush. It won't fall apart, but handling will be affected. Good luck!

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
oopsss front left............. my bad
AO Member

County: Surrey
It sounds like the shock is worn if so it should still be ok to drive but without inspecting it it would be impossible for me or anyone else to guarantee your safety! For some assurance jack the car up and make sure the wheel/strut has no play when you hold the wheel at the 6 & 12 o'clock and also the 3 & 9 o'clock positions and try to move it
AO Member

County: Kent
I recently had a fairly serious squeak from the rear offside suspension. My mechanic told me that he thought that the bushes just needed lubricating which he did. That lasted for 24 hours before it started squeaking again! Whilst talking to my mechanic and another mechanic since they have now said that they think that it might be the drop link but they are not absolutely sure. if it isn't it comes down to trial and error and you just start changing everything until you find the root of the problem! Still, fortunately, no safety issues as far as I know!
AO Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron.dullage View Post
I recently had a fairly serious squeak from the rear offside suspension. My mechanic told me that he thought that the bushes just needed lubricating which he did. That lasted for 24 hours before it started squeaking again! Whilst talking to my mechanic and another mechanic since they have now said that they think that it might be the drop link but they are not absolutely sure. if it isn't it comes down to trial and error and you just start changing everything until you find the root of the problem! Still, fortunately, no safety issues as far as I know!
drop links are cheap and easy to replace so a good starting point!
AO Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraouf View Post
drop links are cheap and easy to replace so a good starting point!
That's been done now too and it seems to have solved the problem!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
drive , squeaky , suspension