Spider 2.0TS 2002 - Noise when pressing or releasing the clutch - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 19-09-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Spider 2.0TS 2002 - Noise when pressing or releasing the clutch

"Funny" noise was found from my Alfa Spider 2002 TS when leaking clutch master cylinder was replaced. You don't hear the noise inside the car even when top down, but quite easy to spot if bonnet is up and someone else is pressing the pedal.

Noise occurs when clutch pedal is pressed all the way down and also when releasing. I took the following video as it's always difficult to explain how it sounds

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6tdo6b7sf..._0813.mp4?dl=0

Driving the car feels good and clutch works well. But I'm bit worried where the noise comes from and if it's gonna leave me to the side of the street. I'm pretty sure it's not the master cylinder, but really the clutch assembly itself.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm wondering should I have the clutch disassembled immediately or this is a known feature.

All comments very much appreciated!

Thanks, Jari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
It sounds like a problem with the diaphragm spring or release bearing or most likely both. New clutch needed I would say
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
New clutch required, it's the release bearing, mine was exactly the same, it won't go straight away, well mine didn't anyway, it just got very noisey. New clutch fitted and no more noise every time the pedal is pushed.

(Post Link) post #4 of 7 Old 20-09-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Thanks for your expertise! Sounds like a trip to my local Alfa garage. I think won't improve too much just by driving

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have noticed anything without the master cylinder leak as it's not really noticeable from inside. But now when I know about it, would be stupid to ignore it.

- Jari
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Your welcome, everyone is very helpfull on the forum and I've leant so much since joining 6 years ago. Get the garage to check your slave cylinder while they are changing the clutch, it's not much extra and then you'll have replaced everything that makes the clutch nice and smooth.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
TS slave cylinder is a gearbox-out to change anyway, so have it changed even if it looks OK.

Also check the flexi-hose that supplies the slave as these crack over time and have tendency to split when the new slave is in and there is more pressure on the fluid.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Slave is on top of gearbox on the 916

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
2002 , 20ts , clutch , noise , pressing , releasing , spider

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page