New flexi pipes+lambda=running better than ever - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jim3

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 16-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
New flexi pipes+lambda=running better than ever

I've had a few fairly subtle issues recently:
- not sounding as peachy as usual
- sometimes running well but sometimes lacking low down torque
- wandering idle
- randomly revving at up to 3000 rpm at idle

This was all quite subtle over about a year or so. Last week the flexi exhaust pipes started blowing and I replaced them with a set from autobits.co.uk. These are very cheap but plenty on here have said they're fine. Ideally I'd have gone for a set of alfaholics but the price difference was nearly 300. My local mechanic put a new lambda sensor on as well as the old one, although not showing up as defective, was seized on to the old exhaust.

The difference when I picked it up was amazing. It must have been a gradual deterioration because I'd clearly forgotten how awesome the V6 should sound with a ragazzon. In addition, the increase in performance is huge. I'm feeling had mine over a decade and this difference is certainly not psychological/placebo.

So if you're struggling to explain a slightly lumpy running V6 and have replaced the MAF etc, it might be worth doing these.

Also, the auto its pipes seem absolutely fine and a bargain for the price. I'll see how long they last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
How much were they as both mine are also blowing. Don't know if to go cheaper or maybe ss cybox?
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 17-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfapash View Post
How much were they as both mine are also blowing. Don't know if to go cheaper or maybe ss cybox?
Available here:
Autobits - quality parts at discount prices

78 + delivery for both pipes! They're 409 ss.

The cybox ones are emant to be good but when I looked they were similar in price to Alfaholics ones, which are generally considered the best (340 + VAT + delivery)
alfapash likes this.

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Thanks Jim for the info and the link.
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
The idle on my GT v6 is ever so slightly lumpy which I believe to be a lambda or a MAF fault. Problem is, which one of the 4 lambda's is it? Knowing my luck it will be the rear bank pre cat!

I am in no hurry to replace anything but just put in a bottle of Cataclean and that seems to have helped somewhat.

Sorry, not asking for help here, My point was more of a, "Consider yourself lucky you only have 1 Lambda!"
AO Member

County: Sligo

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

Lambdas do seem to wear out with mileage. They don't fail suddenly but respond more slowly over time (the voltage switch from rich to lean doesn't happen as fast). This can give a sluggish response under acceleration.

For people with multiple lambda sensors I don't think it's always necessary to replace all of them if you have a problem. I believe at least one of the sensors is supposed to have a fairly constant reading anyway (post-cat I think).
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Blimey those pipes are cheap.

I've just had mine replaced with the stainless Alfaholic ones but if money had been a consideration I wouldn't have hesitated buying these.
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

GTV V6

Ordered a pair of the autobits front pipes as well be got a blow from at least one of mine. Also a cv boot and a pair of steering rack boots, hopefully a fun weekend next week
AO Member

County: Durham

Member car:

GTV V6

Front pipes arrived and fitted, only issues were lambda sensor seized in ( had to use a dremal and cut it out) and the gaskets need the holes opened up slightly to get the bolts through.
But for the money (95 delivered) they seem like good value.IMG_1181.jpg

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
flexi , lambdarunning , pipes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page