Alfa GTV rear suspension parts and check your upper wishbones! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mountain goat
  • 1 Post By Jonlane

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 15-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Bristol

Member car:

Alfa GTV Cup 63

ebay Alfa GTV rear suspension parts and check your upper wishbones!

Evening all.

Just completed my refurbishment of the rear suspension on my car, and have a lot of donor parts which became available after I removed them. And a spare wiper arm with the magic plastic hose clip!

2 x rear dog leg arms (cleaned, painted up and with good bushes)
2 x upper wishbones (needs bushes taking out, repainting and new bushes)
1 x near side pan arm requiring repair for the adventurous! Bushes are fine by the way
2 x hand brake cable holders (cleaned, painted and ready for fitment)
1 x near side wiper arm with wiper, clip and spray rail (great condition)

Notes on re-building suspension:

ABC Enamelling from Nailsea did all of the powder coating for 25 for upper and lower arms and 1 pan arm. Koni Str.t shock absorbers have been a great change, not too harsh. And I was genuinely amazed to see that the centre of my pan arm had come away with the spring. But while I wasn't intending to do the upper wishbones, the bushes were so cracked and I was pleased to get them changed over. And while this was going on, the car had new underseal applied all over, as after 14 years it had started to look a bit tired, luckily with only minimal corrosion. The above parts have come off a well looked after 3.0 GTV with 78k miles, and it goes to show that no car is immune from rot/perished bushes....

And a special mention to spankdanny for supplying me with with all of the spare parts to be able to do the powder coating! Top man!

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7222.jpg (164.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7225.jpg (79.3 KB, 33 views)
Jowey and spankdanny like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain goat View Post
Evening all.

Just completed my refurbishment of the rear suspension on my car, and have a lot of donor parts which became available after I removed them. And a spare wiper arm with the magic plastic hose clip!

2 x rear dog leg arms (cleaned, painted up and with good bushes)
2 x upper wishbones (needs bushes taking out, repainting and new bushes)
1 x near side pan arm requiring repair for the adventurous! Bushes are fine by the way
2 x hand brake cable holders (cleaned, painted and ready for fitment)
1 x near side wiper arm with wiper, clip and spray rail (great condition)

Notes on re-building suspension:

ABC Enamelling from Nailsea did all of the powder coating for 25 for upper and lower arms and 1 pan arm. Koni Str.t shock absorbers have been a great change, not too harsh. And I was genuinely amazed to see that the centre of my pan arm had come away with the spring. But while I wasn't intending to do the upper wishbones, the bushes were so cracked and I was pleased to get them changed over. And while this was going on, the car had new underseal applied all over, as after 14 years it had started to look a bit tired, luckily with only minimal corrosion. The above parts have come off a well looked after 3.0 GTV with 78k miles, and it goes to show that no car is immune from rot/perished bushes....

And a special mention to spankdanny for supplying me with with all of the spare parts to be able to do the powder coating! Top man!

Dave

Dave
I've recently done the same as you, almost to the letter !
Did you check the top of the subframe where the spring sits ?
Mine had about two inches of compacted dirt in there, which blocked the drain holes. It's a good idea to clean it all out, I was amazed how much came out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jowey likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 16-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV Cup 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonlane View Post
Dave
I've recently done the same as you, almost to the letter !
Did you check the top of the subframe where the spring sits ?
Mine had about two inches of compacted dirt in there, which blocked the drain holes. It's a good idea to clean it all out, I was amazed how much came out

It's almost like you knew my car!! Yes, I needed a shovel to get all of the compacted dirt out... I even found silver body work and the brake lines too! I was only supposed to be updating the springs and shocks, but one thing led to another and the lot got replaced or cleaned up!!

AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain goat View Post
It's almost like you knew my car!! Yes, I needed a shovel to get all of the compacted dirt out... I even found silver body work and the brake lines too! I was only supposed to be updating the springs and shocks, but one thing led to another and the lot got replaced or cleaned up!!

Everyone of my little "jobs" usually turns into a marathon. Once you start it's a bit like fruit pastels, you can't stop

AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage
Good work, did you drop the rear subframe to do it? Are you using standard springs on the rear?
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 16-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GTV Cup 63

Alfa GTV rear suspension parts and check your upper wishbones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tas1308 View Post
Good work, did you drop the rear subframe to do it? Are you using standard springs on the rear?

Thanks, it was a rewarding job done in the end!! I was thinking about dropping the sub frame, but reality kicked in and I just wanted to make sure the car was safe and sound. I chose standard springs (Suplex) after reading the advice here, and have no complaints. The car certainly feels more 'alert' over bumps now, yet comfortable. 14 year old suspension certainly shows after the change, nice to be able to get some feedback from the road now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
alfa , check , gtv , parts , rear , suspension , upper , wishbones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page