Please help with throttle body problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Henrik_45
  • 1 Post By Henrik_45

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 12-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Gtv

Please help with throttle body problem

The throttle body on my GTV is acting up and I've been told that I need to change it. I've been looking for a not so expensive replacement, the original part runs at over 1000 and I just cannot afford it. As for a used or commercial part there just seems there are no GTV throttle bodies to be found. My car has an 114kw, 2000cc Twin Spark 1998 motor with code ar32301. So I'm supposing that any Alfa model mounting that engine will have the same throttle body, can anybody confirm that?
I've run into various throttle body codes: Fiat, Alfa and Bosch and at the end and, believe me, a whole lot of research, I believe to have found what I retain is the right code: Alfa 60657874.
Can anybody confirm that a throttle with this code will fit in any Alfa model that carries the ar32301, 114kw engine version? Any additional information or clues would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Norfolk
Try a guy named Dave Glasgow at GTV City on eBay. He's always breaking GTVs and I e had quite a few bits off him... Always good quality used parts and if what you need isn't listed, he'll can normally get it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 12-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Gtv

Thanks a lot for the tip. I will certainly get in touch with him.

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
It's unusual to get problems with the throttle body itself. It's usually the idle control attached to it.
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 13-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Gtv

You are probably right Spankdanny, the scanner gives me error P1512 and it says ( I'm translating ) something like "range of regulation of the minimum idle signal out of normal range". As you might guess I'm not very mechanical prone so should I look for the idle Control by itself? I guess it would have to be specific for my GTV model? Do you know a reference number for it? Thanks a lot for your help I really appreciated.
AO Silver Member

I might have a second hand one. I definitely have a phase 2 throttle body can't remember if the idle mech is still attached. If I haven't I would only buy a genuine Bosch one if available. Can let you know tomorrow
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 14-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Gtv

I don't know if my pm's are getting thru to you so I'm going to post just in case. Could I buy separetly a idle control valve an attached it to the throttle body? I have seen some idle control mechanism on eBay:
Alfa Romeo 145, 146, 156, GTV, Spider Fiat Lancia Kappa Idle Air Control Valve | eBay
Do you think this could be a solution?
AO Silver Member

That one is for a phase 1 car. Only buy a genuine Bosch one if available.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Aalborg
Garage
The idle stepper motor is a Bosch 0 132 008 650 but they are rare as hens teeth.
I think the idle stepper motor also was used on Fiat Brava
spankdanny likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 15-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Gtv

Hi Henrik_45, you must excuse me but what exactly the idle sttepper motor? Is that what controls the idle? Is this the only electronic mechanism to control idle? Is the stepper the same as idle control valve?
I will explain what my car is doing so as further clear what the problem is hoping you or somebody else can give me hand. First of all the scanner gives me error P1512 and it says ( I'm translating ) something like "range of regulation of the minimum idle signal out of normal range". when I start the car if I stop and put it in neutral it will idle at around 1200 rpm when still cold. Once in running temp it will, sometimes, go around 2300 rpm and then slowly work its way down to around 1800 rpm. In other occasions it will idle directly at about 1800. At running temp this behavior appears to be random. When it idles above 2000 I put in first gear and move the car just a little as to bring the rpm's to 1800 since it will go lower than that when moving at low speed but it stabilizes at 1800 when stopped. Thank you so much for your patience and help.
This how is behaving now a days but when the problem first showed up it could not keep the minimum so the car would idle down and the motor would turn off. Then one day the idle started its actual behavior and it's now doing what I just described with high idle. It's been some months now.
By the way, recently I have changed the spark plugs and the air intake hose as it was slightly broken. Also I cleaned the throttle valve.
AO Silver Member

The idle control valve is fitted to phase1 cars. Phase 2 have a different system. It's worth you checking the throttle cable isn't sticking and has enough slack. Also do a search on here for the throttle reset procedure.
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 16-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Gtv

Yes, Spankdanny, I have already done the reset procedure but did not make any difference. On Monday I'm going to take the car to the mechanic to see about the cable and all hoses integrity to exclude vacuum problems. Will let you know.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Aalborg
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufel View Post
Hi Henrik_45, you must excuse me but what exactly the idle stepper motor? Is that what controls the idle? Is this the only electronic mechanism to control idle? Is the stepper the same as idle control valve?
If your car is a Ph2, which I assume it is, the idle stepper motor is the black unit on the throttle body opposite to the throttle cable.
Without the idle controller regulating the throttle will be completely closed when you release the throttle.
The idle controller will then control the idle by moving the throttle slightly.
As Danny mention you should check if the throttle cable isn't sticking and has enough slack. If not the throttle can't close completely and the idle controller can't regulate the idle RPM.

Additionally the throttle position read-back is also done by the idle unit and if this read-back has a malfunction the Engine ECU may think the throttle is open and will increase the engine RPM

You can the idle unit in the picture below.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post10167553 (Idle control parts for CF2 twinny???)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Idle_Controller.jpg (46.7 KB, 4 views)
alfapash likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
body , problem , throttle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page