Have I damaged electrical system during jump start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By PaulR
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 09-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Have I damaged electrical system during jump start

Hi everyone I'm hoping I can get some advice. I let the battery on my V6 GTV go flat as I hadn't run the car for a few weeks after I moved house.

Not a problem I thought as i have jump leads on case of breakdown on a recent trip to the Scottish Highlands. However I think I may have screwed up getting her started. Once I had her going and the donor car was also running I decided to remove the jump leads and leave the GTV running under her own steam. But I removed the black earth lead first leaving the red positive lead attached.

Since I've done this I've had two issues I'm sure are as a result. First the car has am amp kit connectes to 2 rear speakers, which I heard make a popping noise and now only one speaker works and seems to be producing lower power output. Secondly the aircon is not producing cold air anymore and is making a strange hissing sound when turned on.*

Could I have damaged the car's electrical system by leaving only the positive lead attached with no earth to result in these issues, or are they unrelated?*

Thanks for any help in advance*

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
Jump started my car 20 times plus on jumper pack and on leads and no issue at all, Was unaware there was a correct connection and dis connect method for jump leads i have never given it a thought when i have needed to do it

I do know these cars need good volts and initial crank is a tough one for anything other than a very healthy battery
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
The AA guide says you can do extreme damage by removing jump leads whilst engine running but I've never had a problem either. I've heard it's not good to remove battery/ jump leads with the key in the ignition either but have done that by mistake before and had no ill effects either.

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
The AA guide says you can do extreme damage by removing jump leads whilst engine running but I've never had a problem either.
So how does that work?

Flat battery car won't start.

Jump start.

Turn off engine when started and remove jump leads.

Try to start engine - flat battery car won't start.
130 rosso and tony1977 like this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 09-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I read the RAC guide and it said to keep start car whilst donor car is running to give you car the required voltage. But it said to add earth first before live and then remove in reverse order

Which I didn't do!

Regional Support
For Lincolnshire - AOL

For a jump start connection the correct method is to connect the Positive lead first and after the start disconnect the negative first. This makes sense as with the negative lead disconnected you have less of a " target " to drop a positive lead on to the common negatives, i.e.. the car(s) bodywork. Tends to keep underpants a bit cleaner for a little longer if you do drop the positive lead somewhere which you didn't intend to........

I'd guess that the hissing/bubbling Air Con is due to low gas in the system as the pump is trying to pump refrigerant AND air around the system so making a noise, certainly this is the problem I've had in the past and on having the system recharged the refrigerant level was well below spec. After the recharge all was well, no hissing and bubbling and lovely cool air again wafting across my handsome features....

Don't know about the audio system. Suppose it could have been caused by any big spark you may have inadvertently created when connecting/disconnecting the Jump Leads but if so so this will have damaged the audio system and not the car electrics. I do hope that when jumping that you had fully switched off the audio kit.

Have you seen the Lincolnshire Lounge ? Don't stay off the radar, come on in and have a look !

Next Event - TBA

Look Here ! -TBA

email: nige005@alfaowner.co.uk

Old radar men never die - their echoes just fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law.

Last edited by Nige005; 10-09-16 at 08:28.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
My rear speakers have started making a noise recently that I'd describe as a cross between a crackling/popping noise and a thump. I though it was the car at first; had a good look at the rear suspension etc. It seemed totally random and every time I turned down the stereo to hear it better it stopped. Finally realised it was the speakers when I was sat waiting for the Mrs and it happened. I just assumed it was just my 15 year old minidisc player finally giving up but I had to have a new starter motor a few months back and did a lot of jump starting as I thought it was the battery at first. Could just be a coincidence, I'll let you know when I get round to investigating the problem.
BALDER5 likes this.
AO Member

County: Surrey
There are many causes of potential interference between the electrical and audio systems and it would be impossible to pinpoint without inspecting the installation/wiring. Here's a good guide to get you started though.
Car audio noise suppression guide
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 13-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the inputs. The car was working fine before I jump started it so I'm still sure it's the issue.

I'm trying to understand if I have damaged the car electrical looms or just the amplifier and air conditioning condenser somehow. I could get them individually checked then

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
damaged , electrical , jump , start , system

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page