Alfaholics CF3 twinnie Fromt Pipe - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Alfaholics CF3 twinnie Fromt Pipe

I am thinking about getting one of these as a permanent replacement for my original twin cat front pipe. Has anyone used one of these?

In particular, do the lambdas fit into it and is it MOT legal? The webpage says it is when used with their sports cat but isn't totally clear whether it is with the original cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

cgc
AO Silver Member

County: Monmouthshire
So are you looking at there sports cat or there de-cat section? I think there are lambda fittings on both, but I wouldn't be to confident of the de-cat section passing an mot.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #3 of 23 Old 09-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

The replacement front pipe for 299 +VAT (the one with the flexi bit in it that bolts onto the manifold) rather than the sports cat.

Front pipe - 2.0 Twin Spark CF3 for GTV Spider

The replacement front pipe doesn't have the two pre-cats that the standard one does. I had a custom exhaust fitted a few years ago with twin tail pipes but they cut out the small silencer that is part of the cat on a CF3 twinnie and welded the new exhaust straight to the cat so if I went for the sports cat (tempting but at 425 +VAT getting into divorce territory) I would need to replace the whole exhaust and either get a Ragazzon (even more expensive so way past divorce territory) or similar back box with twin pipes or replace the rear valance as it has been cut for the second pipe.

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
You can see from the photo of it there are mountings for the 2 lambda probes. You could get the same effect by breaking up the catalysts inside the pipes with a long chesil and tipping out the bits I reckon.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
I am thinking about getting one of these as a permanent replacement for my original twin cat front pipe. Has anyone used one of these?

In particular, do the lambdas fit into it and is it MOT legal? The webpage says it is when used with their sports cat but isn't totally clear whether it is with the original cat.
I got one a while ago, had no problem passing the NCT but the Pipe was ill fitting, particular the bosses for the lambdas, I had to send it back to Alfaholics (at my expense) after adjustment I just about shoehorned it on.
(Post Link) post #6 of 23 Old 10-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
You can see from the photo of it there are mountings for the 2 lambda probes. You could get the same effect by breaking up the catalysts inside the pipes with a long chesil and tipping out the bits I reckon.
Cheers Danny, I am looking for a replacement for my original pipe as the flexi is blowing so it is more about getting something that will last rather than getting rid of the pre-cats.
(Post Link) post #7 of 23 Old 10-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroulfella View Post
I got one a while ago, had no problem passing the NCT but the Pipe was ill fitting, particular the bosses for the lambdas, I had to send it back to Alfaholics (at my expense) after adjustment I just about shoehorned it on.
Thanks for the reply; I'm surprised as I thought Alfaholics had a really good reputation and at the end of the day, it ain't cheap.
cgc likes this.
cgc
AO Silver Member

I had problem with one of there front anti roll bars. They sent me a new one and picked up the old one within 1-2 days at there expensive.

(Post Link) post #9 of 23 Old 11-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I had problem with one of there front anti roll bars. They sent me a new one and picked up the old one within 1-2 days at there expensive.

Would you recommend them? I know they are probably my only option for a new front pipe but I'm not going to part with 300 plus VAT and postage for something that isn't that good. The whole idea is to save myself the hassle of getting the original pipe fixed.
cgc
AO Silver Member

Oh the parts are first class, on the expensive side, but certainly quality.

(Post Link) post #11 of 23 Old 11-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Oh the parts are first class, on the expensive side, but certainly quality.

That's what I thought until somebody said on here that the part I'm after doesn't fit too well. I guess you get what you pay for and having an Alfa ain't a cheap hobby!!!
cgc
AO Silver Member

Well you could ask Dan cunningham on here (autolusso, penrith) how much it would take for wizard to make a set. His welding is exquisite, but alfaholics would be the next best in my opinion.

(Post Link) post #13 of 23 Old 11-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Well you could ask Dan cunningham on here (autolusso, penrith) how much it would take for wizard to make a set. His welding is exquisite, but alfaholics would be the next best in my opinion.

Is there an easy way of getting in touch with Dan or Wizard? Search on here for Dan Cunningham Autolusso and Penrith and all possible combinations comes up with nothing. Googling only gives a link to a webpage with nothing on it and a Farcebook page.
cgc
AO Silver Member

http://www.autolusso-penrith.co.uk/

Ask for dan

(Post Link) post #15 of 23 Old 12-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Autolusso Penrith

Ask for dan

Thanks... I'll get in touch with him later.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
Would you recommend them? I know they are probably my only option for a new front pipe but I'm not going to part with 300 plus VAT and postage for something that isn't that good. The whole idea is to save myself the hassle of getting the original pipe fixed.
Their parts are good quality but in the case of the front pipe I got the impression from e mails from them that they had never actually fitted the front pipe on a Ph3, I had to send photos of the problems I was having, my exhaust/engine was standard Ph3 so it should have been a straight swap but the angle of the bosses made it impossible to fit the lamba probes (too tight to the engine). They were very helpful and did rectify the problem, ultimately I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Alfaholics again.
(Post Link) post #17 of 23 Old 15-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroulfella View Post
Their parts are good quality but in the case of the front pipe I got the impression from e mails from them that they had never actually fitted the front pipe on a Ph3, I had to send photos of the problems I was having, my exhaust/engine was standard Ph3 so it should have been a straight swap but the angle of the bosses made it impossible to fit the lamba probes (too tight to the engine). They were very helpful and did rectify the problem, ultimately I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Alfaholics again.
Would it be safe to assume they have sorted out the problems and if I order one it should fit properly?

County: Kent

Member car:

Lotus Excel

Hi all - I bought a 2001 2.0 a few months ago and one of the 1st things I did was to purchase the 2.0 Alfaholics CF3 front pipe but had some problems.
On my car there are grooves on the original downpipe flange for metal fire-rings which seal against the manifold. The Alfaholics flange does not have these so I've had to make my own gasket, and still having problems with a good seal. As far as I can tell all CF3 downpipes have these metal sealing rings unless someone can advise different????. Would be interested to know if others had the same problem

One of the lambda boss did touch the water pipe to oil cooler but with the aid of a hammer was able to bend the pipe to gain clearance. So I would not call it a straightforward fit..
(Post Link) post #19 of 23 Old 15-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutol2 View Post
Hi all - I bought a 2001 2.0 a few months ago and one of the 1st things I did was to purchase the 2.0 Alfaholics CF3 front pipe but had some problems.
On my car there are grooves on the original downpipe flange for metal fire-rings which seal against the manifold. The Alfaholics flange does not have these so I've had to make my own gasket, and still having problems with a good seal. As far as I can tell all CF3 downpipes have these metal sealing rings unless someone can advise different????. Would be interested to know if others had the same problem

One of the lambda boss did touch the water pipe to oil cooler but with the aid of a hammer was able to bend the pipe to gain clearance. So I would not call it a straightforward fit..
Thanks... This and another report of problems with it has kinda put me off. I don't expect to spend the best part of four hundred quid on something that doesn't fit properly and doesn't work properly. Looks like I'll be getting a new flexi welded in mine.
(Post Link) post #20 of 23 Old 15-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Autolusso Penrith

Ask for dan

Been in touch with Dan and he only does cat back stuff not down pipes. Top bloke tho and very helpful.
cgc likes this.
cgc
AO Silver Member

I just got a set of stainless steel cf3 downpipes off ebay for 50, so keep looking out for bargains.

(Post Link) post #22 of 23 Old 15-09-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
I just got a set of stainless steel cf3 downpipes off ebay for 50, so keep looking out for bargains.

For a Twinnie?
cgc
AO Silver Member

No V6, second hand.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
alfaholics , cf3 , fromt , pipe , twinnie

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page