Will painting my car lower it's future value? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By joeymannero
  • 1 Post By SLM3CFC
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc
  • 1 Post By sprint_veloce
  • 2 Post By PC7671
  • 1 Post By CGTVs
  • 1 Post By gpr

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 29-08-16 Thread Starter
gpr
AO Member

Will painting my car lower it's future value?

Hi,
I don't like proteo red, and am thinking of painting her.
It will still be red, either the solid Alfa red or 8c red.
The car is a pretty mint V6 spider with low miles and 4 owners.
At the moment, the car is a keeper-but who knows down the line!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Staffordshire
Garage
For values originality is king. However, it's your car, personally I don't look at future values etc, I just enjoy them. If you want it a different red and are happy with that, then paint her! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
eventually yes...

But..

That said who knows how long it will be before these cars break the 10k mark...? the cups already have and a good V6 in the right colour is now worth a solid 5-6k, and if in the future they do become worth serious money then a return to ''an'' original colour, that does not always mean the one in the log book is fine.

if you are going to do it then I would advise a colour that the GTV came in from the factory, Alfa Rosso, Grigio Meteora, and Azzuro nuvolo are all good shouts with the Alfa Rosso being the one most likely to add value in the future as all the original ones will be pink!! and lets face it it's just a great colour for an Italian sports car..

I think we have all seen examples of cars that were re-painted or retro fitted with a later dash, or wheels or some other thing ( guilty BTW) which is fine when a car is just ''an old car'' rather than one that is likely to achieve classic status, the GTV and 916 Spider are a both very likely to do this...so by all means tinker but do it in a way that is either sensitive to the original idea or can be returned to stock with little effort.

respectfully proffered opinion, but at the end of the day it's your car
gpr and charlielowndes like this.

It's Busso time ..

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
paint it the colour you want and enjoy the car until you sell it. It wont be far off otherwise you could just respray it before sale to get the value back up
I would choose 8C red if it were my monies
charlielowndes likes this.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
You don't buy an Alfa as investment. They are not meant to be locked away as gathering dust and going up in value. They are made to be driven and enjoyed. I would say that getting a quality re-spray will make more difference than the colour to the value. Paint it whatever colour you want and enjoy it.
duemila likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
I think it depends on how long you are planning on keeping it.

If you wish to keep it indefinitely then go ahead and get it painted whichever colour you like and enjoy it.

But I think it would devalue the car if you were ever to sell it.

Personally I am not keen on Proteo red either, but surely there must be people out there for which it would be the ideal colour...
AO Silver Member

County: -
If you're paying someone to do the respray, won't the cost be something like 4k or so for a half decent job? I would sell the car and buy one in a colour I like, and keep the cash for a holiday.
Rewe likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Brera

I can't see Proteo being on the top of most buyers' lists and this will slightly limit the value anyway.

Are you planning a bare shell, engine out job or just the external panels? The latter will be more of a problem but the former much more expensive. A really good job will not devalue it.

Having said this, I think the best advice is in the post above. The difference in value between your car and one in similar condition but a better colour is surely less than the cost of paint? (This assuming of course that you just want a colour change and your current car is not desperately ready for new paint)

Last edited by Rewe; 31-08-16 at 16:59.
AO Silver Member

The cheapest way to change the colour without ruining the value of the car would be to get it wrapped.
As mentioned a full colour change respray, done well will cost at least 4k.
gpr and MalcQV like this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 15 Old 31-08-16 Thread Starter
gpr
AO Member

Thanks everybody-all valid points, and I had not thought of wrapping it!
I mentioned Alfa rosso or 8c red in first post, as if I do it it, I will keep it red and it will still be correct on the logbook.
Common sense would say sell it and buy one in the right colour-red or blue for me-but what's the chances of finding a V6 rosso, or blue example with less than 45.000 on the clock (What I have got now).
Im guessing on mine being worth 5k ish, and I would sell for a sub 50,000 miler in my preferred colour plus a few thousand, but I really can't see one coming for sale-that is until the day I pick it from the paintshop!:
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr View Post
Thanks everybody-all valid points, and I had not thought of wrapping it!
I mentioned Alfa rosso or 8c red in first post, as if I do it it, I will keep it red and it will still be correct on the logbook.
Common sense would say sell it and buy one in the right colour-red or blue for me-but what's the chances of finding a V6 rosso, or blue example with less than 45.000 on the clock (What I have got now).
Im guessing on mine being worth 5k ish, and I would sell for a sub 50,000 miler in my preferred colour plus a few thousand, but I really can't see one coming for sale-that is until the day I pick it from the paintshop!:
August 2015 I sold a beautiful 52,000 mile Zoe Yellow V6 Spider for 9k, no upgrades other than a sports rear exhaust section, it took less than 1 week to sell. I'd ask at least 10k for that car today.

I currently have, & have had for a while a Proteo Red V6 Spider, with lots of good upgrades but paintwork's showing typical signs of age, so I've stated in the ad that I'd repaint at a cost....even in Alfa 8C.

Proteo is close enough to 8C red to not have to paint the door shuts or under the bonnet, plenty of cars have slightly diiferent, or non gloss, finishes under the bonnet etc.

I'd paint it any colour you want, as long as it's a good job it will only add to the car's current value, which is more than you think anyway.

8C red is an expensive paint to buy but it'll work out a lot cheaper than having to do a full colour change properly.

Proteo Red in good condition/new is a lovely colour, it just needs polishing.

On close inspection, wrapping normally looks cr*p....unless you pay a fortune & I'm still not convinced.

Clive
gpr likes this.

www.cgtrading.co.uk
Tel: 01273 85 77 95
Mob: 079 73 39 39 74
AO Member

I have a 3.2, v6 916 Spider and was considering a partial respray ,do folks think this would affect the value ? I know only 39 were ever imported into the uk and would hate to devalue her,unknowingly. I know she's fairly rare but that doesn't stop me from going out for a spin,most weekends,weather permitting.
(Post Link) post #13 of 15 Old 08-09-16 Thread Starter
gpr
AO Member

Thank you all for your thoughts.
Ive stared long and hard at the car, and have decided to keep her proteo red.
The car is just too tidy to start doing anything silly to her-Its only got 39000 with full service history. m going to get the stone chips done and have a proper professional mopping done on the paintwork.
I do like tinkering-I should have bought a high millage/ scruffy car, and then I would not feel so guilty about changing everything!
Ive bought some new17 inch ph3 alloys a few days ago, and Im going to stick a quad rear exhaust on her because I like the aesthetic balance.
Easy to revert to a total original car from there!
CGTVs likes this.
AO Member

County: Powys
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTVs View Post

Proteo Red in good condition/new is a lovely colour, it just needs polishing.

Clive
Yep,it seems durable too.My parts car is a proteo and its paint quality is a lot better than either of my other cars (silver and rosso) .You'll have seen hundreds more than me, is there anything in that,or is it just the luck of the draw
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRow View Post
Yep,it seems durable too.My parts car is a proteo and its paint quality is a lot better than either of my other cars (silver and rosso) .You'll have seen hundreds more than me, is there anything in that,or is it just the luck of the draw
Prob luck, it can fade.

Only had a few Proteos.

Clive

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
car , future , lower , painting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page